Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #1 
Little Veiltail

Should my filter be this noisy?

Hey guys, feels like I haven't posted here for ages.

Anyway, the filter that came with my tank stopped working and I lost the receipt some time ago, so the warranty's not valid.

So, I decided to go out an buy a new filter. Instead of going with a medium-size filter like before, I thought I would get a small one, under the impression that smaller filters would produce less of a current and take up less tankspace. It's the same brand as before, a Tetra Whisper Internal Filter, but for 1-3 gallons [my tank is 3g], that works using an air pump thing.

It appears to work fine, but the sound it makes is very loud, especially compared to the nearly silent medium size Tetra filter that my friend uses for his 10g [his tank is right next to mine, so it's easy to hear the difference]. I'd imagine that it's just as annoying for the fish as it is for the humans, if not more so.

I was able to stifle the sound the air pump makes by setting it on something that doesn't vibrate much, but the filter itself seems to make a lot of noise too.

Is it normal for the small filters to be that noisy? And if so, is there a way I could make it any quieter, or should I just go out and buy a medium filter?

Thanks. =)
Little Veiltail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #2 
Thunderloon

that filter relies on the air-flow and having airstones near the glass creates a speaker like effect. You can try putting foam over the bubbler-intake in the tank but you can also get, cheap, some little tee-valves that go in the air line to release some of the pressure and reduce that noise. The air pump usually produces way more flow than is necessary for filter operation.

An air pump type I really like for small tanks is Hawkeye, they're cheap magneto-diaphram pumps that can be adjusted by slowly unscrewing the cap from the base to reduce the amount of pressure they generate.

I've also read about putting a section of soda straw with its end cut to have four spikes down into the lift-pipe. If this works it'll be great because it will reduce the whalluping flow to more fluid spray, I assume the straw has to be held down in by the little cap when the pump is on.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #3 
Abby

oh also check the impella. my new filter was making a horrible noise my bf lifted the impella out and put it back and now its quiet
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #4 
JackisLost

I use the red sea deco art filter, it is rather quiet in my bedroom and is rated up to 3 gallons. I love this filter and I am running it on my 5 gallon with no problem.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Ohhh, I know your pain! That thing is so annoying, bbbbbbuurrbbbzzttttt, it never stops! I wrapped mine in paper towels and fluffy styrofoam like material, paying careful attention to the sides as well as the bottom. Also, make sure that part is raised above the filter to promote better flow and not have a siphon effect.
I wrapped mine and used (lots) of blue painter's tape to stick it to a nearby higher-up object, which dampened the noise considerably.

And, sadly, some of these kinds are louder than others...My bf's without a dampener is the same as mine with! D:

Good luck.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #6 
Lion Mom

I HATE air pumps!!! That's all I got.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #7 
briser

I have the same filter as you.. and the air pump was SO QUIET for about 5 days and now it will stay quiet for half an hour and then it gets really loud and quiets down for a bit again.. it always wakes me up in the night. :(
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:44 AM   #8 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by briser View Post
I have the same filter as you.. and the air pump was SO QUIET for about 5 days and now it will stay quiet for half an hour and then it gets really loud and quiets down for a bit again.. it always wakes me up in the night. :(
If its not cycled (Idk if it is..) you can shut it off :D!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:38 AM   #9 
Abby

pull the impella out or give it a wiggle it usually is the problem :P
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote