Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #11 
BlakbirdxGyarados
Member
 
BlakbirdxGyarados's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Currently based in NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
+1 to everyone else. However, neon's, corydoras, and glass catfish really need schools. They may seem fine without them, but why not give them the best happiness levels? In the wild they school for a reason, and just because they are no longer in the wild doesn't mean they lose their instincts. I don't mean to sound harsh.
I'd love to get my GlassCat a few buddies, but my LFS has to special order them. They got some in recently, but they may/may not be there when they open again, and I don't know if I have the money to buy a few more.
However, in the meantime, Dragon's made a friendship with Leliia, almost as if she is his school. I just watched them for about 5-10 minutes, and he's just following her around, looking frantically for her when he loses her from his sight and swims straight back to her.
And you don't sound harsh. |D At least you're making your point and not strictly saying "You aren't allowed to do that, they need schools" which... in my opinion sounds harsh only because it's so short and the person (in this case, me) is already doing that. xD; Really, "not allowed" makes it sound like the "advice-giver" is the person's parents. Kinda crazy, but... yeah.
Again, he would be in a school from the day I got him... if only the Petsmart I got him from took better care of their fish.... Poor Ghost Catfish were yellowish except for Dragon... D: And I keep reading that it's hard to cure a GCF's diseases... I didn't want to take the chance and wake up with nice, fresh, new dead fish in my new tank.



Blah, as much as I'm typing tonight, my fingers will be aching in the morning lol.... Stress is killing meee... Must... play with fishies. |D
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #12 
turtle10
Member
 
turtle10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleNibbles93 View Post
I wasn't saying they shouldn't be kept in schools, I was just saying not all of them may like it.
Actually fish that are meant to be in schools can get very stressed and depressed if there are not the right amount of numbers. In schooling fish there are often hierarchies and different levels, depriving fish that need those hierarchies and schools is in my opinion really bad. Your cories may seem fine, but you can't see what is going on in the inside. I promise your cories would be so so so much happier with the proper amount. I have never heard of a schooling fish preferring small numbers over large.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #13 
YoshesMom
Member
 
YoshesMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Eugene.or
Ive always kept single corys because I just assumed like plecos there ok alone ( I didnt do my research ) BAD ME! my corys have always " seemed happy " but I guess I dont pay much attention to them since there always zooming around the tank and are normally fat and happy I guess what ide say to everyone thats new to fish or even new to there breed GOOGLE IT !
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #14 
BettasForever
Member
 
BettasForever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida
Thank you for posting this thread-I didn't think anyone would have the guts to do so, but I agree with everything you said. There's a civilized way to do things, and the way most people are doing it is not the right one. If something is doing something wrong, chill out and tell them, not scream it in their face. It's true that almost everyone is in a tough place right now, and people don't have access to everything they want/need for their fish. Some people HAVE to have their fish in a one gallon, temporarily, until they can get the money. People have lives, other hobbies, not just fish. (nail art/nail polish collector here. :P) So, that's my mini-rant. :3
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #15 
turtle10
Member
 
turtle10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettasForever View Post
Thank you for posting this thread-I didn't think anyone would have the guts to do so, but I agree with everything you said. There's a civilized way to do things, and the way most people are doing it is not the right one. If something is doing something wrong, chill out and tell them, not scream it in their face. It's true that almost everyone is in a tough place right now, and people don't have access to everything they want/need for their fish. Some people HAVE to have their fish in a one gallon, temporarily, until they can get the money. People have lives, other hobbies, not just fish. (nail art/nail polish collector here. :P) So, that's my mini-rant. :3
It is true sometimes people are in bad situations, but I think members here get frustrated because people should have done their research in the first place. For example maybe your mom or something won't let you get more cories or a bigger tank, but you should have researched before you even got the cories.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #16 
BlackberryBetta
Member
 
BlackberryBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
LittleNibbles93, I totally agree with you. I don't agree at all with some of the things people say. I mean really, I know how to care for MY fish and even if she doesn't have the things that other people's fish have, she is still happy and healthy. Nobody here is going to change the way I care for my fish. I have been wanting to post something like this for some time. Good for you for going for it. You are like my idol. ;)
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #17 
bettafish15
Member
 
bettafish15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
I think members here get a little harsh when the person doesnt listen, or is all like "my fish is fine in a 1 gallon with water changes once a month, swimming around all happy" when really, there is no way their fish is happy in those conditions. Just that kind of thing. Also, when people on the forum sound harsh, they are really just concerned. It's all in how you read the replies, I suppose. People may sound harsh, but if you were talking to them face-to-face you wouldnt think so. I have never seen a rude member on this forum, except the obvious people that shall not be named. ;)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #18 
FuulieQ
Member
 
FuulieQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
I have occasionally seen people being unnecessarily harsh on this site, and actually experienced it once when I was asking questions about my Walstad tank. However, the people who are the nastiest aren't the regulars most of the time in m experience - the person who was mouthy at me didn't even have an avatar, they just busted onto the scene saying that my setup was totally wrong and I needed to "cry for a while and then rip it up".

However, this is how it is everywhere on the internet. Especially on big sites like this one with lots of members. Not everyone is thinking about your feelings, and the more people join a site the fewer of them actually care if they hurt you. Of course, there are also benefits - more information.

In short, if someone's going to quit from here because they can't tolerate the occasional butthead, then it's probably best that they do, because we can't control everyone who comes here. Also, everyone who is reading this and DOES have the capacity to change their behavior should be careful how they give advice. Being nasty to a newbie kills fish.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #19 
FuulieQ
Member
 
FuulieQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryBetta View Post
LittleNibbles93, I totally agree with you. I don't agree at all with some of the things people say. I mean really, I know how to care for MY fish and even if she doesn't have the things that other people's fish have, she is still happy and healthy. Nobody here is going to change the way I care for my fish. I have been wanting to post something like this for some time. Good for you for going for it. You are like my idol. ;)
I don't mean to be rude, but if you won't take advice and wouldn't change no matter what someone said, why are you here, and how can you be sure what's really best for her? :/ I mean, I understand if someone's being nasty to you about it, but totally disregarding any advice and just deciding everything's perfect isn't the way to own healthy fish.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #20 
FuulieQ
Member
 
FuulieQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
It is true sometimes people are in bad situations, but I think members here get frustrated because people should have done their research in the first place. For example maybe your mom or something won't let you get more cories or a bigger tank, but you should have researched before you even got the cories.
Yes, but howling at a user for not doing his/her research does nothing to help the present situation. They already HAVE the cories. There's not much to be done about it that being nasty will fix.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I hate seeing...! JaspersANGEL Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 17 11-17-2010 02:51 PM
Rant/Anti Rant place. BettaGirl290 The Lounge 9 10-09-2010 09:34 PM
i hate to do this </3 Jooleeah Betta Chat 9 08-26-2010 11:49 PM
Don't you hate it? AngelicScars Betta Fish Care 17 05-30-2009 05:04 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.