Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #11 
1fish2fish

If you don't have a way to test ammonia you can not be certain that they are clean. Ammonia is clear but in a tank under a gallon it will reach levels high enough to start causing your fish internal damage in less than a week, prolonged exposure will eventually kill your fish.

Personally I believe.. if your going to have a pet why only give it the bare minimum? If you have a hamster and only keep in in a small cage with a wheel it'll survive... but why wouldn't you want to make it's life as interesting as possible by giving it room to move around and explore?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #12 
davidbailey

Well you have to admit, they're much better living with me then probably dying at the pet store. I don't think one of mine, butterface, would have lived much longer. His water was really bad and I think he might have breathing problems from it now :/
davidbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #13 
FuulieQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakbirdxGyarados View Post
Agreed. And given that I have a small room with limited space, I can only have certain sizes of tanks... and so many.... As I'll be going into the Air Force soon, I don't want to leave all my fish and Samm (turtle) to my granparents... when they don't even know I have more than two bettas. xD

But they'll be in good hands.

Anyway, thankfully I had enough room to squeeze in a 20 gal, 10 gal, 3 gal, 1 gal, and a half gallon right next to my laptop (which has my six guppy babies in it atm... it was my QT. :D' )
And I'll have to find either a 2.5 gal tank for my betta who is on the way here... or a 1 gal vase. Which... all the vases my grama has on hand aren't big enough that I think my new HM would be happy swimming in there.

Water changes are fairly easy to keep up with , too. All you do is let some water sit long enough to get chlorine out and/or use dechlorinator and switch out the water in whatever way you choose. At least every other da--... well... it depends on the size of your tank. xP
Those who think it takes too long or is a hassle should look up easier ways to do it, 'cause really... it's not hard. And it's better than finding a pale/sick/dead betta a while later.
I had a bit of a special case. :P I had to cart water long-distance to change my water, and as a student I didn't have much time. xD

It's just been a lot better with the planted 5gal. I know that if I don't have time to change water once a week the plants will take care of it for a while, although I haven't had to let it go yet.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #14 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post
I had a bit of a special case. :P I had to cart water long-distance to change my water, and as a student I didn't have much time. xD

It's just been a lot better with the planted 5gal. I know that if I don't have time to change water once a week the plants will take care of it for a while, although I haven't had to let it go yet.
Ha! That's understandable... and cart the water from where to your dorm, if I may ask? |D

I try to keep all the tanks I have with plants. That way, if something happens that I completely forget to change the water one day, I don't have to feel completely guilty.
BlakbirdxGyarados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #15 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbailey View Post
Well you have to admit, they're much better living with me then probably dying at the pet store. I don't think one of mine, butterface, would have lived much longer. His water was really bad and I think he might have breathing problems from it now :/
True, it might be better than a pet store. But it really is better to try to change the water a bit more often. It might help his breathing problems, too, but only time can tell that, really.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #16 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Personally I believe.. if your going to have a pet why only give it the bare minimum? If you have a hamster and only keep in in a small cage with a wheel it'll survive... but why wouldn't you want to make it's life as interesting as possible by giving it room to move around and explore?
It was proven that animals with a lot of things they can interact with in their environment makes them smarter. :D

Just something to think about. x)
Old 03-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #17 
FuulieQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakbirdxGyarados View Post
Ha! That's understandable... and cart the water from where to your dorm, if I may ask? |D

I try to keep all the tanks I have with plants. That way, if something happens that I completely forget to change the water one day, I don't have to feel completely guilty.
Somewhere ridiculous. l< I used a big metal bucket. Haha. It was terrible, and my room was the size of a bathroom. Seriously. I was miserable last year. xD
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #18 
Luimeril

well, i know most of mine were happier when they were upgraded to larger tanks. Cup's alot more active now, even with his longer fins, than he was in his one gallon tank. same with Freya, a CT female who passed away Halloween weekend. she went from a .5, up to a 2.5, and was really happy about the space. she'd explore for hours, finding new things that she'd get excited about. only betta i've ever had who DIDN'T like more space, is Lulu. she's honestly happier in her 1 gallon, than she was in a 2.5 gallon. if i ever get the chance to do my dream tanks(two 20 gallons, divided 4 ways), i'll try her out in a '5', but if she doesn't like it, she'll stay in a 1, with daily water changes.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #19 
BlakbirdxGyarados

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuulieQ View Post
Somewhere ridiculous. l< I used a big metal bucket. Haha. It was terrible, and my room was the size of a bathroom. Seriously. I was miserable last year. xD
Oh man... well, glad things are better now. xD
Or I hope they are, lol.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #20 
BlakbirdxGyarados

I try to upgrade as I get the space and money for it... And as long as the fish is fine with the updrade. In the meantime, I upkeep what they're in as I should.