Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2011, 02:19 AM   #1 
kdunkerl
New Member
 
kdunkerl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
The decline of VTs?

Hi everyone,

I was reading somewhere about the decline in popularity of VTs and how people don't want to breed them anymore and they aren't being allowed in show circuits. I was just curious of some opinions from a betta loving community. I know the new tail types can be SPECTACULAR but my little VTs still fascinate me while swimming and flaring.

All opinions welcome!
kdunkerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:27 AM   #2 
Abby
Member
 
Abby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lismore, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdunkerl View Post
Hi everyone,

I was reading somewhere about the decline in popularity of VTs and how people don't want to breed them anymore and they aren't being allowed in show circuits. I was just curious of some opinions from a betta loving community. I know the new tail types can be SPECTACULAR but my little VTs still fascinate me while swimming and flaring.

All opinions welcome!
when breeding a vt x something else the vt line dominates so the fry become majority vts and the decline would be because the quality of vts are dropping and with the amount of low quality vts pumping out if you saw a low quality vt beside a pretty dt or hm or sd r ct im sure youd go the other yes?
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:42 AM   #3 
Luimeril
Member
 
Luimeril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Carolina
it's partly because they've been so overbred by pet store breeders. i go to the pet store, and i see mostly Veils and Crowns. i was super lucky to grab up Ichi, who's a possible Delta. that's part of why i'm including Veils in my Orange Dal line, because no one wants to breed them other than people looking to make a quick buck, and pet store breeders.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:47 AM   #4 
kdunkerl
New Member
 
kdunkerl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Quote:
when breeding a vt x something else the vt line dominates so the fry become majority vts and the decline would be because the quality of vts are dropping and with the amount of low quality vts pumping out if you saw a low quality vt beside a pretty dt or hm or sd r ct im sure youd go the other yes?
I do see your point. I guess my problem is I have no access to HMs or DTs since any LPS around me only have VTs and CTs. It's really upsetting that even the specialty aquarium store near me doesn't carry a wider variety:(.
kdunkerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:51 AM   #5 
kdunkerl
New Member
 
kdunkerl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Quote:
that's part of why i'm including Veils in my Orange Dal line, because no one wants to breed them other than people looking to make a quick buck, and pet store breeders.
I'm glad to see you're including them in breeding. I was looking at breeding, not necessarily with the interntion of trying any time soon but after I read the article/post, I was just surprised. I got the impression that no one outside of pet stores was breeding them.
kdunkerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:57 AM   #6 
Luimeril
Member
 
Luimeril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Carolina
well, the most common Orange Dalmatian IS the Veiltail, so why not try to improve the Veil line, while i'm breeding something few do? x3 my first betta was an orange dal veil, so they hold a special place in my heart. :d
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:14 AM   #7 
Abby
Member
 
Abby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lismore, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
it's partly because they've been so overbred by pet store breeders. i go to the pet store, and i see mostly Veils and Crowns. i was super lucky to grab up Ichi, who's a possible Delta. that's part of why i'm including Veils in my Orange Dal line, because no one wants to breed them other than people looking to make a quick buck, and pet store breeders.

I find if the colours different they are wanted.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:16 AM   #8 
Abby
Member
 
Abby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lismore, NSW
I will be breeding in a few months, my Yellow vt male to a yellow sdhmct female. (shes super delta X Half moon and appearing ct as well lol)
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:16 AM   #9 
kdunkerl
New Member
 
kdunkerl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Quote:
so why not try to improve the Veil line, while i'm breeding something few do?
A perfect thing to do!
kdunkerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:23 AM   #10 
kdunkerl
New Member
 
kdunkerl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Quote:
I will be breeding in a few months, my Yellow vt male to a yellow sdhmct female. (shes super delta X Half moon and appearing ct as well lol)
All of the yellow bettas I've seen are beautiful. And the orange ones too, for that matter. All mine are only blue and red, with the exception of one female that is pearly peach kinda, it really is the abnormal colour in the pet store that makes me want to take the little guy/gal home but the great colours are soooo rare!
kdunkerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.