Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #1 
BeCkS

scales lookin a little funny?

I want to say my female(s) is losing scales but, the scales look clear when they are hanging off of her (falling off) and she's NOT losing any colour :s
it happened to my red female and if you look at her head on, her sides have darkened areas (still normal red colour, just darker and indented) where she lost the clear scales, not the normal glossy look.
and Now my blue female has some clear scales falling off near her tail.
I dunno if shes just getting beat up by another betta, or shes "shedding" (fish dont shed i believe lol but maybe im missing something)
they look healthy, and are swimming around happily, im just a bit worried :/
has anything like this happened to you? should i be worried? will it become worse or an infection?
BeCkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #2 
CrowntailxKing

How many females do you have together? If you have seen my thread about my 10gal sorority I started last night, some of my females had been beating each other up when I first introduced them. Some lost scales and have torn fins, but they all stopped fighting (as far as I know) and are on the rebound for healing. What size tank do you have and do you have any plants / hiding spots with them?
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #3 
BeCkS

10 gal, tonnes of hiding spots and have been together for a few months.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #4 
CrowntailxKing

Hmm...I read in another thread that sometimes they get along for months and start fighting again. :( Did you add any other new females? Hope all is better soon!!
Old 03-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #5 
BeCkS

well there is a new one, but she honestly stays away from all the others (theres five of em now) shes not aggressive either. The agressive ones are actually the ones who are losing a couple scales...
Old 03-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #6 
CrowntailxKing

Well that's no wonder because the aggressive ones are also the ones that do most of the fighting! lol Perhaps the introduction of a new female caused the others to try and climb up in the pecking order. Of the 5 I have, Didi tried her best to stay away from all the others (I bought her because she had stress bars at PetSmart, so I couldnt just let her stay there!!) and continues to show her stress bars here in the new tank (though more faded now), but the others tried to pick fights with her and Copper (my other submissive female). I hope that it doesnt turn serious...just make sure you keep the water temp 75-82 degrees and add some salt. Hopefully that will get them to heal nicely. I also read that banana leaves as well as Indian Almond leaves help in the healing process. If you scroll down past the prices, the seller will explain more about their uses. http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/showthread.php?t=3357