Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #1 
wildmagic713

Exclamation Body lost color, red in the fins!

So, you all know I got my new Bettas about a week ago.

Well, Zully was being a major butt so I kept Fishy in his QT and let Zully go into the partially filled tank cause he wouldn't stop freaking out in his QT.

Well, he was fine, but I just looked over and he was lying on the bottom of the tank. I thought he was dead. Then I noticed his gills were still moving, so I cupped him and now he's swimming around in the cup on my desk.

I'm going to put him back in QT, but I'm going to switch him and Fishy out so that Fishy goes into the tank (After a change, of course) and Zully goes into what was Fishy's QT.

Zully has lost all the color in his body and he's gone from deep blue to straight up gray. His fins are still blue, but they're also laced with red, and I just noticed he looks like he may have ich. He has little white specks on his body. I have no idea how he could've gotten it, I've been diligent about changes still.

One of his gills is sticking up a tiny bit, but it's been like that since I got him and it didn't seem to be bothering him at all so I wasn't overly concerned.

What should I do? Please help! Should I treat him with something, or just do super frequent changes on the QT?
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #2 
turtle10

I am confused. Who is in what tank?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #3 
wildmagic713

I switched them out so this is how it is-

The tank is filled up about 7/8 of the way, just enough that the QT will fit.

Mister Fishy is in the tank itself on his side with the divider in.

Azul is in the QT, which is a glass vase that I keep in the tank so it stays warm, and that's on his side of the tank.

Just checked on Zully (Azul), and his color is back to normal on his body and he's blue again and not gray, thank god, but he still seems to have ich and that little bit of red in his fins.

I looked that up and all I could find is that red in the fins/body is usually cause by ammonia poisoning, but I have no idea how that's possible because I've been keeping up on changes.

It is less serious than I thought now.

Phew.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #4 
turtle10

Okay I see. Do you think the red could just be his coloring? It shouldn't be ammonia, like you said you have been doing the changes. Maybe the ich is just stressing him.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #5 
wildmagic713

That's always possible...

I think he's super stressed cause his color keeps going in and out of being normal and he used to just lay on the bottom of his tank but he had a swimming fit where he was swimming all around the QT and now he's hanging out at the top of the tank. I'm less worried with him up there because it means he's closer to air.