Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #1 
sjones

best filter for a 20 gallon long?

Suggestions? I have read in some places that one should get a heavier duty 30 gallon filter, but I was thinking for a tank divided three ways I don't want a lot of current so maybe a 20 gallon would be best.
Also noticed in my ten gallon divided that the section of the tank the filter is not in doesn't get filter action very well. I am using the plastic craft mesh diy dividers.
Any experience on this would be appreciated.
Tanks!
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

In my divided tanks I put either a penn plax small world filter or sponge filter in each section all hooked up through gang valves to one air pump. It seems to work really well.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #3 
sjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
In my divided tanks I put either a penn plax small world filter or sponge filter in each section all hooked up through gang valves to one air pump. It seems to work really well.
Interesting idea and it would solve one of my problems which is some of my guys don't like to see each other, so i could use something other than the mesh for dividers.

I am assuming I can still cycle the tank with the smaller filters?

Do you have any pictures of this set up posted anywhere I could check out?

I am wondering how much this would cost because of my other issue-price :)
Old 03-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

I still use mesh dividers because technically the filters are too small to provide a cycle independently for each section, however together I've managed to create pretty stable cycles. I do double up on the mesh however.

Pics of my newest set up can be seen here..
1fish2fish tank journals (you might have to do a bit of scrolling)

The filters are actually pretty cheap IMO. I got mine off amazon.com for like $4 a piece from "That Pet Place".. so 4 filters x $4 is $16 plus $6 shipping is $22. That's pretty much the price of a decent brand of HOB filter. Then add air tubing (maybe $3?), gang valves ($4 for 2), and an air pump (you can usually get these pretty cheap)... your looking at about $30 for total set up. I think I put how much everything cost in that thread but I'm not positive.. if not I think it's in my old blog so I can look it up on there tomorrow.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:08 AM   #5 
sjones

Very helpful.
I really like the idea of the individual filters, in my split ten gallon for now I took the divider out and made it a one betta tank because I felt the current was too strong even though it is baffled.
That tank is awesome, I am doing pretty well with plants in my 10 gallon and am wanting to get the eco complete or the like for the 20 gallon myself and plant it up!
anyhow thank you