Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #1 
tokala

Obscure Tank Size

My AB boy will be arriving this thursday and I have been setting up his tank. It is a bit of an uncommon size I think: 7.5 Gal ( http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua_...FIAQRC-vi.html ) I am undecided on whether or not I will get him tank mates. Is 7.5Gal large enough to own any type of schooling fish in a small group? I have read mixed reviews- that 10 gal is more appropriate, but according to the "1 inch per fish" rule, it might work with a group of 4? Just curious! :)
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #2 
bettafish15

Naw, I wouldnt put anything in with him unless it's a 10 gallon. He can have shrimp and snails though :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #3 
LolaQuigs

I think the general rule is no fish tankmates in anything under 10 gallons. You could always do snails, shrimp, or ADFs though.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #4 
tokala

Thanks guys! I wasn't sure if 10 Gal was the rule or just the most common, larger sized tank :) I think I will get a couple ghosties!
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #5 
Bettaluver4evr

Cool, ghosties! Aww, only 2 days to go! I'll bet you are couting the minutes! :D What a cool tank. I'll be it'll be amazing once it's decorated and your gorgeous new betta is in there! :D
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #6 
BlueHaven

Ghost shrimp are awesome!
So are Mystery Snails, they are active and funny.
Mine needed air from the surface today but couldn't reach it where he was hanging out. I moved the airstone in his tank over next to him and he slided over and climbed up it to the top. It was so cool!
I've seen a picture of a mystery snail that was literally sitting down, it's foot was curved like it had a butt and arms and it held a piece of food inbetween it's foot to eat. So funny!
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

In that size tank you could have 10+ shrimp in with your betta. Shrimp have almost no bioload so the stocking rules for them in is different.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote