Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #1 
BlackberryBetta

Conditioner Question

I know the place that I buy my bettas from uses different conditioner than I do. But when I bring my bettas home, after letting them sit in the water for a minutes, I just release them. They go from 1 conditioner to a totally different one right away and they're 100% fine. So why do we have to go through all this 75% old water 25% new water, then 50% old water 50% new water and so on when introducing them to a new conditioner? Can't we just introduce them right away? I want to do that because the conditioner I currently use measures by 10g and the tank is maybe 2g. I have no where to keep all the extra water. I bought a new conditioner that measures by 1 gallon that I wanna use. What should I do? Thank you.
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

It's not the conditioner you're getting them acclimatised to, but rather the change in pH, water temperature and water hardness/softness. I never acclimatise my fish to a new water conditioner by using the method you've described. Since it's only job is to neutralise anything harmful, it shouldn't be something you need to acclimatise to.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #3 
bahamut285

I asked a similar question (actually it was more about dosing) for conditioner.

You don't really have to set aside 10G of water just because one capful treats 10G. You can just vaguely guess what 1/5 of a capful looks like. I was told that it's not harmful to put a little too much conditioner, but just don't obviously overdose.

My conditioner is similar, 1 cap treats something like 50 gallons. I basically just put as little as I can into the lid and put it into the water. I test the water before putting my fish back in, just in case. :)

As LittleBetta said though, you do the acclimatising to the other aspects of the water, not the conditioner.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #4 
Thunderloon

one milliliter is twenty gravity pulled drops at standard water surface tension

for dealing with smaller amounts I get a little one milliliter syringe and a child's medicine dropper kit which does milliliters and is very handy for measuring dry materials too.

So tetra's water conditioner in the yellow bottle is twenty drops for two gallons, I usually used 26 drops. Thirteen drops per gallon matches the 5ml per 10g ratio on the label.

You can usually get one of the small syringes from a pharmacy if you tell them it is for pulling tenths of a milliliter of water conditioner and that you'd like them to damage the tip for you.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #5 
BlackberryBetta

So can I just put my fish in the new conditioner right away?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:16 AM   #6 
BlackberryBetta

Should I just put my fish in right away?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #7 
BlackberryBetta

Wanted to do it today but I'm not sure..... I think I am gonna just set it up today, If P.J.'s tail injuries get any worse I will put him back in QT. I will post pics soon!

Last edited by BlackberryBetta; 03-15-2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Spelling....
Old 03-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

The conditioner works right away. You don't have to wait.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote