Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2011, 01:26 AM   #1 
Harley
Member
 
Harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alberta, CANADA
Question Does this mean we're still doing kinda ok?

After posting a few pics of Harley, some people here mentioned he may have fin rot. I kind of thought something could be wrong and being a newbie I wasnt too sure. Harley did have the water changed 100% in his bowl yesterday. Tomorrow is his 1 week birthday at my house. I heard fin rot can be caused by water problems. The container he was in when i got him didnt have very clear water so i think he may have had it when i bought him. He wasn't eating much but yesterday he had bloodworms and today I got him some new pellets which he seems to like. His water temp is also ok and it doesn't really fluctuate.

He did make another bubble nest this afternoon. Does this mean he's still kinda healthy? Or is it more like people, just cause your sick doesn't mean you can't breed. I'm going to get some salt/meds for him in the morning.

Last edited by Harley; 03-23-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #2 
ChelseaLlyn
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I'm curious about this, too. My poor Basil's fins are looking so sad and scraggly, yet every day he's built a lovely new bubble nest.
ChelseaLlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #3 
Harley
Member
 
Harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alberta, CANADA
If you've got fin rot or an otherwise sick fish, get on it. I've heard Bettas aren't real hearty so you don't want to wait. I just bought Harley some "Maracyn" to help fight his fin rot. It makes me mad knowing that he likely already had it when I bought him. Like most businesses, it's all about the money. Sad but true when it comes to pets. The Petsmart (not where i got Harley) near me has been really good and don't just suggest things because they cost the most which is nice. Good luck in getting your fish back to good health.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Building a bubble nest doesn't always mean they are happy and healthy....they have a strong instinct to reproduce...with that said, just because the fins look ratty doesn't mean they are sick either...sometimes ratty fins are a result of too strong filtration, dragging on the gravel, snagging on something in the tank and even too large of space with some long heavy fin Bettas can be the cause of ratty fins...etc......as long as you are providing the Betta with quality water, proper water temp and good nutrition to help build a strong immune response to prevent a secondary infection...its just a cosmetic issue not health per se.....

IMO/E-except with treatment-you can do too many water changes and upset the balance in their habitat....you have both good and bad bacteria/pathogens in the water the work together....you don't want to try and create a sterile environment...it can't support life....and yet you still need to make enough water changes in a closed system so one bacteria will not take over and cause problems....a balance.......

Nutrition is so important and often left out....this is where you need to spend money....good food is the building blocks to good health just as quality water.....don't skimp on the food.....and replace often...at least yearly and when possible offer live foods even if its seasonal...like mosquito larva........

Oddly enough tank size can be a problem for long heavy fins in the male Betta.....too big of space and them using the fins to swim and wear on them making them ratty looking.....too strong filter can do this too....not all males have problems with too much space or filter...but some do and IMO it is related to genetic, age and general health.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #5 
ChelseaLlyn
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I have. I changed about 50% of his water yesterday and added some aquarium salt. I'm going to move him into a new, clean tank, in the next day or so as well. I'm sorry your fish was already infected. At least you got him out of the store where they don't care enough to treat their fish and can give him a happy home, though. Has the Maracyn helped? When I went to Petco to get the salt and new tank, the employee reccommended Melafix, and got really quiet when I asked about the damage to the labyrinth organ, but he said that was all they had, so I just went with the salt. I'm not sure if the fin rot has gone to far to use Maracyn, so I don't know if I should just go with something stronger or give the Maracyn a go.

OFL, my fish doesn't have a filter or a very big tank. I thought it might be that he tore his fins on a decoration, but a good portion of his anal fin is gone and there's a 2-3mm pinhole in his dorsal fin. Could tearing on a plant have caused that kind of damage?
ChelseaLlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
You want to be careful using antibiotic...especially if you are not sure what you are treating....this can sometimes make things worse by creating antibiotic resistant issues.....

Often the best medication is clean dechlorinated water and proper nutrition......

There is no magic pill and regardless of treatment choice.....it takes time for healing and regrowth of fins and until you fix the root cause...it will be a never ending battle......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #7 
Harley
Member
 
Harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alberta, CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Building a bubble nest doesn't always mean they are happy and healthy....they have a strong instinct to reproduce...with that said, just because the fins look ratty doesn't mean they are sick either...sometimes ratty fins are a result of too strong filtration, dragging on the gravel, snagging on something in the tank and even too large of space with some long heavy fin Bettas can be the cause of ratty fins...etc......as long as you are providing the Betta with quality water, proper water temp and good nutrition to help build a strong immune response to prevent a secondary infection...its just a cosmetic issue not health per se.....

IMO/E-except with treatment-you can do too many water changes and upset the balance in their habitat....you have both good and bad bacteria/pathogens in the water the work together....you don't want to try and create a sterile environment...it can't support life....and yet you still need to make enough water changes in a closed system so one bacteria will not take over and cause problems....a balance.......

Nutrition is so important and often left out....this is where you need to spend money....good food is the building blocks to good health just as quality water.....don't skimp on the food.....and replace often...at least yearly and when possible offer live foods even if its seasonal...like mosquito larva........

Oddly enough tank size can be a problem for long heavy fins in the male Betta.....too big of space and them using the fins to swim and wear on them making them ratty looking.....too strong filter can do this too....not all males have problems with too much space or filter...but some do and IMO it is related to genetic, age and general health.....
Thanks for the info OFL. The whole water change frequency thing seems to be a big debate on this forum with varying opinions. My original plan was to do 1, 100% change a week. He's only in a 1gal bowl so do you think that sufficient? I agree with what your saying about a sterile environment, it makes sense. The temp is always good in his bowl, around 79F. I'll describe my concerns: (pics of him can be found at: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=65910

1) In the first pic his dorsal fin is quite "freyed" and isn't free-flowing, well shaped like his tail fin. Is this something to be worried about? Others stated he may have fin rot. He has fake plants, but they aren't sharp or too stiff. He isn't too big in comparison to other Bettas I've seen.

2) In the 3rd pic, his ventral/pelvic fin seems to be just a white branch looking thing. It just looks like a stick. He moves it ok though. I'm not sure if the white means bad or not. Its really the only white he's got so I'm assuming it's not right.

Thanks to everyone for the help / advice so far. I put him on Maracyn today out of real worry he might die as I've heard fin rot can be fatal. He's only a week old today and I don't want to be planning a funeral yet :(
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #8 
turtle10
Member
 
turtle10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Thanks for the info OFL. The whole water change frequency thing seems to be a big debate on this forum with varying opinions. My original plan was to do 1, 100% change a week. He's only in a 1gal bowl so do you think that sufficient? I agree with what your saying about a sterile environment, it makes sense. The temp is always good in his bowl, around 79F. I'll describe my concerns: (pics of him can be found at: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=65910

1) In the first pic his dorsal fin is quite "freyed" and isn't free-flowing, well shaped like his tail fin. Is this something to be worried about? Others stated he may have fin rot. He has fake plants, but they aren't sharp or too stiff. He isn't too big in comparison to other Bettas I've seen.

2) In the 3rd pic, his ventral/pelvic fin seems to be just a white branch looking thing. It just looks like a stick. He moves it ok though. I'm not sure if the white means bad or not. Its really the only white he's got so I'm assuming it's not right.

Thanks to everyone for the help / advice so far. I put him on Maracyn today out of real worry he might die as I've heard fin rot can be fatal. He's only a week old today and I don't want to be planning a funeral yet :(
One 100% a week in a one gallon bowl is not sufficient. I would do it at least three times a week.

1- He does look like he has fin rot. If he doesn't have it now, he definitely did at one point. His dorsal should be fuller.

2- In the third pic it looks like poop. But white ventrals are fine. I have an all-blue male betta except the ends of his ventrals are white.

I would do aquarium salt before the medication. Fin rot is can be fatal but he is not at such an advance stage. He just needs clean water and salt. I think the medicine is too harsh.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #9 
Harley
Member
 
Harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alberta, CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
One 100% a week in a one gallon bowl is not sufficient. I would do it at least three times a week.

1- He does look like he has fin rot. If he doesn't have it now, he definitely did at one point. His dorsal should be fuller.

2- In the third pic it looks like poop. But white ventrals are fine. I have an all-blue male betta except the ends of his ventrals are white.

I would do aquarium salt before the medication. Fin rot is can be fatal but he is not at such an advance stage. He just needs clean water and salt. I think the medicine is too harsh.
Thanks. I thought with fin rot once it was fixed, everything would grow back, no? How can I really differentiate whether its current or an old injury? I don't want to treat him or expose him to something he doesn't really need. So can I just up and stop the Maracyn or do I have to somehow taper him off of it? Its only been 1 dose so far, but he might get 2 before I can buy some salt (I work nights). I'm pretty sure the white isn't poop as he's had it since day 1. Maybe its similar to toilet paper stuck on his heel :)

Last edited by Harley; 03-23-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #10 
turtle10
Member
 
turtle10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
It just looked like poop because it curled a bit at the end, lol. I honestly have no idea about the maracyn. I would definitely pm oldfishlady. I would continue what you are doing until you can talk to her.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm back, well kinda. MrVampire181 Betta Fish Care 18 12-27-2009 08:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.