Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #11 
roypattonphoto

i have the 5g Marineland Hex w/ BioWheel ..

i know the tank u have, almost go it , but was a bit pricey at my LPS..

on my 14g i will be updating one of the new MarineLand hoods that have the Daytime/Nighttime lights...

nice tank and good choice...
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:18 AM   #12 
roypattonphoto

got my male tonight, wasnt planing on it , but when i saw him and the color combo, i had to grab it... its a Halfmoon Doubletail Betta ... he has got a wow factor to him... mom suggested to putting him in the tank with the 4 sisters temp.. i looked and laughed and asked her where she was goin to put all the "extra" supprises that would come out of that...

just finish putting the 5gal back together, letting the temp settle down before he goes in , that little cup Petco has him in, the water is soo darn cold i dont see how he is still alive... ive got it sitting on a heating blanket trying to warm him up a bit..
Old 03-23-2011, 02:04 AM   #13 
roypattonphoto

sorry for the highjack, wasnt on paying attention and posted on my cell phone and thought this was my thread....
Old 03-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #14 
Thunderloon

the ten gallon marineland is a "standard kit" with LED hood, penguin 100b filter, 10g quality aquarium, heater

You can find the replacement filters for the bio-wheel at walmart "aqua-tech 1" size

You'll want to read up on the filter baffles for the filter's flow, they've recently made them spray more directly across the tank than down in, the filter's intake should not be baffled so use an intake-pre-filter sponge from the LFS (pond types are fine) to keep him from perching on it.

Make sure to unplug the heater when you do water changes, there is some concern about marineland's whole line of heaters due to some problems with the safety-off on the stealth pro's failing.

Give the bio-wheel about 24 to 48 hours to "wet" before you expect it to begin developing bacteria. They're made of a finely shredded plastic that is frequency welded into a card and fan-folded. Once the water begins to "stick" it will slow down.

Carefully install the "mid level strainer" if you wish to use it, I suggest installing foam around it as well.

Keeping an accurate water level for proper filter operation is a must with penguin filters, within about 3/4 of an inch of the top or 1/4 inch of the bottom edge of the top black plastic frame of the tank.

The pre-filter sponge will also keep the replaceable filter cartridge from gucking up as fast.

>>> when you decide you're definitely going to keep the tank/30 days have passed, go to marineland and register your equipment. Marineland stands behind their warranties better than any other company in the hobby.

(someplace I made a post using all sorts of cyber names about the hidden fish in the tank, it has operation, expectations and cleaning instructions for power filters)

Last edited by Thunderloon; 03-23-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: If you are reading this you have read too far.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:56 AM   #15 
TheKzv

roypattonphoto : np, its okay lol

Thunderloon : thanks for the advice :D
TheKzv is offline   Reply With Quote