Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #901 
JKfish

phoenix91:
Bettas are awesome fish, and very hardy :) They are more than able to adapt to different water levels, so just be sure to acclimate him or her well.

Twilightnite: well, I rarely see my bettas poop, but I know they do. So long as he is healthy and looks and acts fine, then he should be alright :) if you are truly curious and/or worried, keep him in a clear bottomed tubberware for a day, that way you can indeed verify he does poop.

GreenTea: how much water are you changing out with each w/c? Once he looks fine, then stop the epsom salt usage. Ten days of salt exposure is the absolute max. Once you are done, do not use aquarium salt... just good old clean conditioned water. IMO, salts are just for treating ailments; when bettas are constantly exposed to salts, their organs might fail.

Also, I feed pellets because flakes tend to be extremely messy and less nutritious. Give him a while, some bettas take a few days to get used to their enviornments before they start to eat. A healthy betta could techinically (though DEFINATELY not advised) go a whole month without food. He'll eat when he's ready. If you are concerned the pellets are too big, presoak them and then cut them to manageable chunks. If he spits them out, remove the rejected food and offer him new food whenever his next meal is.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #902 
phoenix91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
phoenix91:
Bettas are awesome fish, and very hardy :) They are more than able to adapt to different water levels, so just be sure to acclimate him or her well.
Thanks. i actually checked the levels just before i introduced the fish container to the water and it seems to have righted itself, maybe the water & stuff i had added just needed that little more time. My new fish Ōji is in and seems quite happy.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #903 
BettaHeart

Ok, I bought a package of brine shrimp that are packed in gel form and was wondering if any of you have used this and if they really are something my bettas can eat? the brand is Instant Ocean.
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #904 
phoenix91

I have a 3 gallon tank, even if your room is say 62 degrees, does this heater (the marineland up to 3gallon) keep the tank at 78?

My house tends to fluctuate a lot in temp as my heating system is sort of broken right now and i was thinking of changing out the heater i had to something a bit better. Right now i have a marina submersible mini. would i be better getting a heater i could set myself?
Old 03-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #905 
Canuck Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix91 View Post
I have a 3 gallon tank, even if your room is say 62 degrees, does this heater (the marineland up to 3gallon) keep the tank at 78?

My house tends to fluctuate a lot in temp as my heating system is sort of broken right now and i was thinking of changing out the heater i had to something a bit better. Right now i have a marina submersible mini. would i be better getting a heater i could set myself?
The heater I have in my tank doesn't have numbers on it but it's adjustable and I have a separate thermometer in my tank. The main concern is keeping the temperature stable.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #906 
phoenix91

Is there a brand of heater i can get that i can adjust the temp to stay at say 76 degrees?

Unfortunately until i get my home heating system either fixed or completely changed my house is going to experience these fluctuations. If i can minimize the change in the tank by setting it at a specific temp that would help a lot.

I can't wait until the summer when i can probably control the temp a little better as the rooms will be nice and warm.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #907 
JKfish

marineland is an awesome brand, and depending on the size of tank/heater, you should be able to adjust the heat. I personally recommend keeping them at a minimum of 78* F, the heater (if good quality) will keep it that temperature pretty much constantly with little to no fluctuation. Get a little floaty glass thermometer for like one dollar at walmart to help monitor the tank temps.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #908 
Melbell

How should I use epsom salt in my tank (more specifically how much should I put into a one gallon tank, and how long should I leave it in there)? Does it have to be a certain kind?
Melbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #909 
Canuck Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbell View Post
How should I use epsom salt in my tank (more specifically how much should I put into a one gallon tank, and how long should I leave it in there)? Does it have to be a certain kind?
It depends what you are trying to treat. A healthy betta doesn't need epsom salt. Is your fish sick?
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #910 
Melbell

He has fin rot.. >.>
Melbell is offline   Reply With Quote