Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #1 
Fins

Bernie's Cove for Betta Deluxe Betta Kit?

A friend's fish just passed on and she decided that handling fish just wasn't her thing, so she donated her Cove for Betta Deluxe Betta Kit to me so that I'd be able to use it. I currently have Fins in a 1 gallon tank, but I'm going to update to a 2.5 gallon and I was wondering what size this kit is. On the box it says that it's a size 1 tank, but I don't know if that's a 1 gallon or something else. If anyone has any information on what the size of Bernie's Cove for Betta Deluxe Betta Kit please let me know what you know. If it's over 1 gallon I'm going to clean it up and place Fins inside of it.
Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

This tank, from what I found is 8 3/8" W x 11-1/4" H x 6"..If you multiply these numbers together and divide by 231, you get the gallons...
565.3/231= roughly 2.44 gallons.

This might be slightly more or less depending on water level.
Id say go for it. Make sure it is clean, scald it with hot water over the course of a few days and then let it dry for a few before adding your fish. Do not use the came cartage for the filter if it has one, get a new one.

What did the other fish pass from?
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #3 
Fins

I'm not sure about what the previous fish passed from. She never gave me any information on what happened even when I asked her for it. She must've felt horrible for not being able to stop whatever was wrong. My friend is funny like that. If an animal dies she doesn't want to talk about it. I've tried to ask her for the information on the death of her betta, but she hasn't replied to any of my emails and I have no other way to contact her because she now lives in Arkansas. It would've been very helpful for me to know what happened to her betta.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Do you think it died of neglect or old age, or is it perhaps a disease?

There are methods to clean a tank safely to make sure nothing will be passed from one fish to another. Diluted bleach is used but Its tricky and there are other, more natural ways. I dont know which kind it is, but vinegar and water is a great option, too. Also, I think canning salt can help, too.

If you want, post a thread in the habitats forum and ask them there. You'll get good answers, as many members have done the same as you. This way, you can make sure your friend not only gets a nice, new home to play in but that he remains healthy to enjoy it!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #5 
Fins

I have a reason to believe that the betta might've died due to neglect. She wanted to work on responsibility, but she was never that great at it. There's also a posibility that her betta could've died from old age since he was bought from a store that had no record of ages. I used the vinegar trick and I now have the tank running. I'm going to let it run for a few days before placing Fins inside. I can already tell that this tank's light isn't one that's good for viewing a fish, but if Fins is happy in this new tank then there's no problem with the stupid light bulb. The only thing I'll need to do is get a lot more white gravel. The amount I have right now is only suitable for a 1 gallon, so another 1 gallon of white gravel will do the trick. For now the tank is going to look ugly because there's not enough gravel. It gets ugly before it gets pretty, I guess.

Last edited by Fins; 03-25-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: I needed to add more information.