Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #1 
lalalaura

New Tank Set-up

So instead of trying to find small enough heaters to heat my 1.5 and 1.77 gallon tanks, I decided to upgrade and buy a 5.5 gallon tank.
I bought a 25w Elite heater also and I'm currently testing it in the new tank.
I made my own divider in the tank (couldn't justify paying $15 for one)using plastic mesh so the water can circulate well. But if they can see each other through the mesh, will they get stressed out or eventually get used to it?
And when I put the fish in the new heated water should I heat up the water first and acclimate them or should I turn the heater down and turn up the temp. slowly with them in the water?
I'm always nervous when doing new things with my "fish babies" and I just need some reassurance that I won't hurt them.
lalalaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #2 
thatgirl

I have this heater for my 1.5 gallon and it works well. I know you upgraded to a larger tank, but just in case you wanna use the 1.5 gallon one.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4455060
thatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #3 
lalalaura

That's the exact heater I looked EVERYWHERE FOR! I couldn't find it anywhere and didn't wanna wait any longer. I'm going to keep looking until I find it and then probably buy another betta for that tank :P

But my little guys could use more room anyways :)
Old 03-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #4 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalaura View Post
So instead of trying to find small enough heaters to heat my 1.5 and 1.77 gallon tanks, I decided to upgrade and buy a 5.5 gallon tank.
I bought a 25w Elite heater also and I'm currently testing it in the new tank.
I made my own divider in the tank (couldn't justify paying $15 for one)using plastic mesh so the water can circulate well. But if they can see each other through the mesh, will they get stressed out or eventually get used to it?
And when I put the fish in the new heated water should I heat up the water first and acclimate them or should I turn the heater down and turn up the temp. slowly with them in the water?
I'm always nervous when doing new things with my "fish babies" and I just need some reassurance that I won't hurt them.

they will get use to it, wont hurt em

heat the water then float them for 30-60 minutes, adding a little water (a little) at a time (if u add too much each time you will run out of room to add more lol) every five minutes add a little tank water to their floating container or bag
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #5 
lalalaura

Ok sounds simple enough!
If I have the two of them in the 5.5 gallon tank, how often should I do water changes?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #6 
Canuck Fins

In an uncycled tank, I think you are probably looking at 2 water changes a week (one with gravel vacuuming). :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #7 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalaura View Post
Ok sounds simple enough!
If I have the two of them in the 5.5 gallon tank, how often should I do water changes?

divided i hope lol
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #8 
lalalaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
divided i hope lol
Of course it's divided lol.. I read everything up on this forum before I even think about doing it!

I made my own divider and it's currently in the tank with the water that is being heated. I think I'm going to have to buy one because it doesn't seem very stury to me and I don't wanna risk it.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

That zoo med heater has gotten mixed reviews. Its good you upgraded and got a more suitable heater instead.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #10 
lalalaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
That zoo med heater has gotten mixed reviews. Its good you upgraded and got a more suitable heater instead.
Yeah, this way I only had to buy one and not two! I think I'm going to get another fishy with this upgrade too. I've noticed some white like fuzz on the sides of Sushi's body and don't want to put him in with the new fish. I've never noticed it before and it almost looks like dust. Any idea what this could be?

Anyways on the other hand, I was looking at pictures of your bettas on your profile (PewPewPew) and see you made your own divider. Do you attach it to the tank at all? I feel like mine isn't sturdy enough or am I just being paranoid?