Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #1 
peachesxo

Heater for 1 gallon bowl?

So I was never a fan of small living environments for bettas. My two boys have 10 gallon tanks to themselves, but I rescued 3 females this weekend out of a horrible situation in a community tank that would have left them dead if they had stayed there any longer than they did. I live by myself in a pretty small one bedroom apartment, and the only way I could rescue the girls (and have room for them) was to buy bowls, even though I swore I would never keep a betta in anything less than 4-5 gallons.
I had to though.
It was a choice of 3 dead females or 3 living females in bowls.
SO. 2 of the females are in 1 gallon bowls, and 1 of them is in a 2 gallon (Wanted 2 gals for all of them at least but they only had one left) and they do seem pretty happy in them. And they are all pretty small so I'm sure that helps too.

ANYWAYS,
The point of this thread is, they currently do not have heaters.
So what I need to know is, what is the best heater for something as small as 1 gallon? (and 2 gallon)

I saw this one recommended in a sticky, and I can order it online, would it work? Or do any of you know of something better??
THANKS!

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/hy...7.5+Watt).html
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #2 
iheartmybettas

I know many people have luck with this heater. I on the other hand can't stand preset heaters. I have to be able to adjust the temp because we keep our house cold. That one will fluctuate with the changes in room temp. I use the Hagen Mini Submersible Heater which can be ordered from Amazon. It worked great when I used it in a 1 gallon.

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Mini-Sub...1425979&sr=8-3
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #3 
dirthooks

I've used the 7.5W Hydor and it's okay but you have to watch the temp of the water. It will keep it about 5 degrees above your room temp so if it gets hot in the room you will have to unplug it or your tank will be too hot. I see you are from Canada. I've ordered mini heaters from MOPS (Mail Order Pet Supplies) online and I order the 4 inch junior mini heater. It's also 7.5 watts. It's preset and I believe that temp is 78 so it will turn off. This is what I use for my small tanks now.
dirthooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #4 
Arashi Takamine

I use the Marina mini 10 watt heater that's already pre-set to 78. It's working pretty well.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #5 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmybettas View Post
I know many people have luck with this heater. I on the other hand can't stand preset heaters. I have to be able to adjust the temp because we keep our house cold. That one will fluctuate with the changes in room temp. I use the Hagen Mini Submersible Heater which can be ordered from Amazon. It worked great when I used it in a 1 gallon.

really?
in a 1 gallon?
you don't think 25W will cook them to death? (considering i have like 50watt in my 10...)

I like keeping my apartment rather cool, and have been COOKING myself trying to keep these new 3 girls warm.

Eeeep.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #6 
iheartmybettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesxo View Post
really?
in a 1 gallon?
you don't think 25W will cook them to death? (considering i have like 50watt in my 10...)

I like keeping my apartment rather cool, and have been COOKING myself trying to keep these new 3 girls warm.

Eeeep.
I have never had any problems with it. I watched it all the time and it never fluctuated. I have to use higher watts in my house though generally since it gets pretty cool. I use a 100W in my 10 gallons. The heater just doesn't have to work as hard.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #7 
peachesxo

Quote:

so far this one is winning over the pad thing...
cus the idea of a pad thing kinda creeps me out lol
Old 03-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #8 
Lion Mom

I have a 25 watt submersible, adjustable heater in a 1 1/2 gal. biscuit jar & it works well. :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #9 
peachesxo

Quote:
I have never had any problems with it. I watched it all the time and it never fluctuated. I have to use higher watts in my house though generally since it gets pretty cool. I use a 100W in my 10 gallons. The heater just doesn't have to work as hard.
ok.
I think i will get this one then, as long as it ships to canada.

edit: they don't **** to canada :(
fail

Last edited by peachesxo; 03-29-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #10 
peachesxo

This is simillar, will this work?? Anyone have it??
This is 1 gallon and 2 gallon bowls remember lol

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/ht...-+25+Watt.html