Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-29-2011, 10:58 PM   #1 
LuxC
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
pooping once a week? help!!

My betta fish Riki, is a healthy looking fish with tail regrowth since I bought him and now I think he has an issue with pooping, he only poops once a week? the poop size is pretty large.. i feed him 3-4 pellets, 2 times a day. (morning and night).. Can someone please help me. Does he have constipation? If so what can I do to treat it?


Housing
What size is your tank? 2.8 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 81 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? no one

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets (Hikari)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets x 2 times per day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 100% once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? ammonia and chlorine neutralizer

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate: n/a
pH: n/a
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? his fine, acting normal and is active
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he poops once a week and the size of the poop is large..
When did you start noticing the symptoms? last week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? i've just started fasting him today
Does your fish have any history of being ill? he had fungus but healed
How old is your fish (approximately)? 7 months old
LuxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #2 
CrowntailxKing
Member
 
CrowntailxKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
3-4 pellets twice a day might be too much. He could be constipated. Try feeding him some blanched peas to act as roughage to clear his system. Also, do you crush his pellets because I heard before that if you don't they could swell in their stomachs because they swell up in the water.
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:34 PM   #3 
LuxC
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
how many blanched pea's do I feed him? and i'll reduce the amount of pellets next time and no I didn't crush them, but thanks for the advise.. i'll try crush them and feed it to him.. the reason why I fed him 3-4 pellets is because he goes into his feeding corner and looks for more or waits it's like his asking for some more but now I guess I got to put him on a diet.. and also I bought cubes of frozen bloodworms, any suggestions on how to feed it to him?
LuxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:45 PM   #4 
CrowntailxKing
Member
 
CrowntailxKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
Well, you can feed him like one or two (I'd just go with one since you are fasting him as well). Also, it is their instinct to try and get as much food as they can...you have to remember in the wild it's hard for them to get food so they eat as much as they can when they can. They are little piggies :)
You can feed him 3-4 pellets once a day, that's what I do when I feed mine pellets (usually I give him flakes). And as for the bloodworms, what I do is put them in a small bowl of water to dissolve them then pick one up at a time with tweezers and feed them to him like that :)
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:46 PM   #5 
denaliwind
Member
 
denaliwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Blowing Bubbles in T-Town, AZ
Instead of blanched peas, I feel like that should be a last resort, you should just fast him for 3 days. Then, go back to his regular feeding schedule with one day per week that you don't feed him. And for future feeding, you might want to pre soak the pellets before feeding.

For the frozen food, I keep a cube in a glass jar, feeding time I just take it out, cut a little slice off and put it in a plastic cap and run warm water on it. It defrosts really quickly, then using a skewer (dull side) I drop one piece at a time into their tanks. I get their attention first and then feed them and wait for them to eat the piece before I offer another one. ^^ Have fun, your betta will LOVE those little guys.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #6 
CrowntailxKing
Member
 
CrowntailxKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliwind View Post
Instead of blanched peas, I feel like that should be a last resort, you should just fast him for 3 days. Then, go back to his regular feeding schedule with one day per week that you don't feed him. And for future feeding, you might want to pre soak the pellets before feeding.

For the frozen food, I keep a cube in a glass jar, feeding time I just take it out, cut a little slice off and put it in a plastic cap and run warm water on it. It defrosts really quickly, then using a skewer (dull side) I drop one piece at a time into their tanks. I get their attention first and then feed them and wait for them to eat the piece before I offer another one. ^^ Have fun, your betta will LOVE those little guys.
I heard it was healthy to feed blanched peas to your Betta :/ Also I heard that pre-soaking them makes them lose their nutritious value.
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #7 
PewPewPew
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
This is not entirely true. You can pre soak, or space out the feedings more evenly.

3-4 twice a day is too much.

AND NO. NO PEAS.

Peas do more harm than good IMO/E. I would not do them, even as a last resort.

Like said, you should fast the fish for at least 3 days. Keep an eye on the poop.

Here's a tip for pooping, try showing him a mirror for about 5 minutes every other day. Sometimes males poop when they see another male, which will speed things up. It worked for me and a few others, and might help you too.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:57 PM   #8 
CrowntailxKing
Member
 
CrowntailxKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
This is not entirely true. You can pre soak, or space out the feedings more evenly.

3-4 twice a day is too much.

AND NO. NO PEAS.

Peas do more harm than good IMO/E. I would not do them, even as a last resort.

Like said, you should fast the fish for at least 3 days. Keep an eye on the poop.

Here's a tip for pooping, try showing him a mirror for about 5 minutes every other day. Sometimes males poop when they see another male, which will speed things up. It worked for me and a few others, and might help you too.
What's wrong with peas? On another note, mine pooped when he saw a female as well! so perhaps it's just another Betta in general :D
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:57 PM   #9 
denaliwind
Member
 
denaliwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Blowing Bubbles in T-Town, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Here's a tip for pooping, try showing him a mirror for about 5 minutes every other day. Sometimes males poop when they see another male, which will speed things up. It worked for me and a few others, and might help you too.
It's true, I've witnessed my bettas do it. XD
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:05 AM   #10 
PewPewPew
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowntailxKing View Post
What's wrong with peas? On another note, mine pooped when he saw a female as well! so perhaps it's just another Betta in general :D
Lots of things, I just explained to another member too, so I can forward the message XD

And Im sure- Ive just never had that happen because Alle just flirts and gets all cute when there's a female around. Oy, this kid. He kills me sometimes <3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is she pooping? New2Betas Betta Fish Care 13 12-01-2009 08:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.