Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #1 
Dragonlady

How many years have you been breeding bettas?

How many years have you been breeding bettas? Why do you think so many people quit breeding bettas after just a few years?
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

I've only been breeding for 1 year and I don't see myself quitting any time soon.

I think people don't realize exactly how much work that raising bettas entails. I also don't think people realize how much work starting a line entails.. how much knowledge of genetics and how to set up pedigrees, etc.

You have to have a pretty stable life situation to really get into breeding. I see a lot of people in their 20s (like me) starting out and then getting married, moving, having kids, etc and just not having time for the hobby. Then theirs people who start much younger and then go off to college and loose the "betta bug"

Then you have to consider the expense... you gotta be willing to make sacrifices so that you can afford all the equiment, medications, tanks, etc that you need.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #3 
pdxBetta

I started breeding in 1989. I took 20 years off in between then and now.

Breeding Bettas requires stability and a daily time commitment for at least a month. I was in the Air Force. Deployments were often beyond my control, and when I lost an entire spawn because of it, I quit (breeding, not the Air Force). I am retired now, and going to school, which means I have a bit more control over my time. I've got a spawn nearing four weeks, and I am anxiously awaiting a shipment of fish from Thailand, which should hopefully be here tomorrow.
pdxBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #4 
monroe0704

LOL haven't made it a year yet! BUT nearing 6 months already! Geez, time flies.. and I have yet to have a truly successful spawn! I think that's a driving reason behind people giving up so early. It is difficult even when you do all the research.

Plus it can be difficult to work it in with a changing life. However, I personally do the work to move my pets with me and/or stay put when they'd be too stressed...
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #5 
Dragonlady

I guess I should answer my own question, too.

When I was a child, I had beginners luck with breeding bettas. Breeding them was almost as easy as breeding guppies, but the surviving fry never grew as large as their parents. I stopped breeding then because I did not like gimpy fry. I guess no one told me they needed baby brine shrimp or to change their water daily. This was before internet, and nothing was at my library on the subject. I wish I had known about the IBC then! Before I started breeding bettas again, I bred paradise fish for awhile, clownfish for a while, and corals for awhile. I started keeping bettas again in around 2007. I started breeding bettas again in 2009.

I'm not sure why most betta breeders seem to get the 2 year itch to stop breeding. I guess if you are spending too much time in a fish room taking care of fish, the people who care about you let you know.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Some breeders are kids wanting to try it. Then they realize how expensive and time consuming it is and quit. Their parents won't buy them the stuff they need and they try to breed in small bowls, no proper fry food and no heater. They fail and then they quit.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:05 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I've known bettas since the early 70's and began breeding mainly in 1982-83. Started to take interest in their genetics in 2005. Until today I breed mainly for fun - because I love breeding.

Out of all the fish (and birds) I've bred, bettas are the most difficult in the sense that they need daily attention. There was a time when I had to do wc until 1 - 2 am and prepare for work at 4 - 5 am. Unless a person really loves these fish, they would probably throw in the towel. I've often thought about it .... but never did. Personally, I'm never bored caring for them - there's always something to do.... unlike other fish.... and that's what I love about breeding them.
indjo is online now   Reply With Quote