Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #1 
leaveittoweaver

The Dreaded Algae!

I currently have a ten gallon divided tank with two males in it. It's been up and running for three months. I change 50% of the water once a week. Lately I've had some algae. I've kept the light off for a week to try to kill it. But it's still there. I feed the fish two little pellets each of food a day.

What could be causing it and how should I go about fixing it?

Thanks!
leaveittoweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:21 AM   #2 
JackisLost

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaveittoweaver View Post
I currently have a ten gallon divided tank with two males in it. It's been up and running for three months. I change 50% of the water once a week. Lately I've had some algae. I've kept the light off for a week to try to kill it. But it's still there. I feed the fish two little pellets each of food a day.

What could be causing it and how should I go about fixing it?

Thanks!
What live stock do you have? Do you have any plants? How long has it been a problem? Tap water or RO? What do you add in the water? Is it where sunlight reaches it? Do you clean the tank or just change 50% water a week (too little of a water change... What filter?)?
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #3 
leaveittoweaver

I only have the two bettas in the tank. No real plants, just fakes. I use tap water, conditioned first with Aqueon Water Conditioner. No light reaches the tank, since it's on the other side of the room from the window. I clean the tank by scrubbing the glass with a sponge and doing the 50% water change. I use a tetra in tank filter, buffered.

Why is 50% too little of a water change? That's what I was told on here and have read from numerous people to do with a ten gallon tank.

When I do change he water I'm also obviously vacuuming the gravel.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #4 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
If it is a flourescent light, check it and see what the "K" rating is. If it is a brand new tank, I would imagine the K rating is good on your lighting. Sometimes, when people clean up, dust off older tanks they use a hardware store flourescent light that has a much lower K rating and this will cause problems with Algae. I don't know if that is your particular case. Just something you might want to check.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #5 
PewPewPew

Are you certain this is algae? I know, dumb thing to ask, but you would be surprised.

If the tank is not cycled, try rinsing out the tank. Yeah- all of it. Clean the gravel, rinse it, rinse the plants, dividers, swish around the baffle and filter pad.

Or, try an algeacide. I dont know much about them, but from what I heard anything with polyethylene dichloride works well. Or get an algae pad and scrape it off.

How bad is it? Can we see?
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Its normal and expected to get algae in a container of water that has both nutrients and light.....since it a closed system we as the hobbyist have to control it by manually removing it with the weekly 50% water changes....sometimes algae can be a sign of a healthy tank and help make the tank look more natural.....avoid chemical additive as this can sometimes be harmful to the livestock and the environment......make sure the tank does not receive any direct sunlight....can you post a pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #7 
scootshoot

What's wrong with green algae growth? Never understood why fish hobbyists go to extreme measures like adding chemicals to kill it off,

The only annoying algae growth I do get rid of are the ones forming at the front as it starts to impede a clear view of the tank. Easily resolved with an algae scrubber sponge or razor blade.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #8 
leaveittoweaver

I'll try to get a picture of it. But yes it's definitely algae, I'm not too bothered by the algae but some of it was just stringy and floating and I didn't want the fish to get caught in it which they probably wouldn't(probably a dumb thought to begin with heh), but I worry.

The algae isn't even on the glass at all which is weird.

The tank is/has cycled. I had it up and running for four weeks with used filter media and a little fish food to cycle it before getting the bettas. They don't seem bothered by the algae though. It mainly grows on the divider and I take a sponge to the divider every week.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:57 AM   #9 
JackisLost

Sounds like green hair algae, I had a problem with it once. How I got rid of it was to use flourish excel to spot treat it and it slowly dissolved and died. My shrimp tank has been starting to get this hair algae too but it's extra food for them.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote