Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #21 
LolaQuigs

I have a copper "halfmoon" that has the purpleish hue (in certain lights...in others he's green). I love the copper color, and wish he had all of his fins so that he could truly show off his beauty. >:(
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #22 
GienahClarette

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I wouldn't call any of those purple... just varying shades of copper. Also remember that copper is one of those colors that can get really skewed in a picture.
My reality has been shattered.
GienahClarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:02 PM   #23 
1fish2fish

Its a matter of opinion. I really don't consider any fish truly purple because it doesn't breed true. There are fish I consider "purpley" like my multi BF bowie

but still not really purple.

Copper has a tendency to look purple under certain types of light IME.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #24 
GienahClarette

:) I mostly use it as a labeling shortcut. It's shorter to type out and say than 'bettas who look slightly purplish under a certain light'.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #25 
YoshesMom

I have a copper crowntail in most lights he looks silver/steel grey but if he hits the light just right hes greeny and sometimes a purpleish but mostly hes copper/silver
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #26 
Abby

URGH my fish are all changing colours!
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #27 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GienahClarette View Post
Soooooo. Are there any breeders currently working with coppers? And when I'm talking about purple with copper, I mean something like these:
I'm not currently working with anything since my water source is somehow deadly to them. But had worked with those kind of coppers (I don't call them purple) - dark coppers - for 3 years.

Quote:
GienahClarette : My reality has been shattered.
Why? What do you want to achieve? You haven't pointed out any specific question.

Quote:
1fish2fish : Its a matter of opinion. I really don't consider any fish truly purple because it doesn't breed true. There are fish I consider "purpley" like my multi BF bowie
I agree - there are no true purple. In fact it is believed to be impossible (I forgot the explanation). I call your multi blue with red fins. People give new names to their color line..... confusing.

Quote:
YoshesMom : I have a copper crowntail in most lights he looks silver/steel grey but if he hits the light just right hes greeny and sometimes a purpleish but mostly hes copper/silver
This is what I love about coppers - they look different from different angles/lighting.

Quote:
Abby : URGH my fish are all changing colours!
This is what I hate about marble or what ever with its character. You're happy with a certain pattern, then they change.....
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #28 
GienahClarette

I was actually kidding about my reality being shattered. I guess I should have put a smiley face in there to make that clearer. Mostly, I'm just hoping to speak to someone with experience with coppers so I can learn about copper genetics, mixing coppers with other colors, or any problems that come with breeding them.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #29 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Ask away. I'll answer what I know. Keep in mind that I seldom mix until recently, specially to reds. I usually mix them with green because (IMO) they produce better metallics than blue (besides I hold some myths concerning blue).

Recently I tried mixing with yellow/gold and yellow dragon. The dragon mix produced confusing outcomes. I got marbling - fish changed from copper, pale/fleshy, now sort of reddish. I also came up with black which was never in my line. Unfortunately I lost most of them due to my water. I have to start over - but copper is hard to find. I'm now using a black dragon and hope will get some copper in offspring.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #30 
GienahClarette

Thank you so much for helping me out! I'd like to start out with the basics of copper genetics. I understand the different layers of color. But, I haven't found information on how copper works.