Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2011, 06:38 PM   #1 
Wildstorm

New Crowntail Fish- Looking for help on getting started

Hello to everyone. You may know me from another thread, I had a betta named Yomi that had fin rot from a pet store that I had purchased him from. I kept him for about a month but alas he succumbed to his illness and the stress ended up killing him :(
Since that time I have purchased another betta. His name is TuYomi- yes, like Yomi 2 XD. He is different from Yomi because he is a crowntail (Yomi was a veiltail), and I absolutely adore him. I had kept him in a 3.5 gallon glass bowl for the first week he was here, but since then I noticed he lost his vigor. I concluded that it was from being cold, since the glass from his bowl wasn't holding in the heat from his heater; so I downsized to a two gallon bowl/tank. His conditions didn't improve, and I concluded that the reason for his "illness" was from the water quality. I have chlorine treated water fixtures in my house, I used a water neutralizer to remove any chlorine from the water I put in his bowl, but evidently it didn't work. I'm not taking any more chances with my house water, so now I am only using fresh water I purchased from the store.
TuYomi is currently in a bowl that is very small. It's only a temporary home, I want him to recooperate before he moves into his final home. I need to make sure I do everything right this time, I don't want him to end up like Yomi did. :/ Anyone have any tips?

* Bowl is 2 gallons
* His heater makes the water in the 2 gallon 78 degrees F
* I feed him BettaMin and pellets
* He has fake plants and a plastic pagoda in his bowl

Last edited by Wildstorm; 03-30-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Wildstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

How much are you feeding him? The most you should feed him is 3 pellets, twice a day. I only feed mine 2 pellets, twice a day. I'd chuck the flakes because they are hard to count out, and they cause bloat more easily. Plus, they have less nutritional value. Otherwise, you are doing great!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

How often are you changing his water? In small containers & not feeling the best, he will need LOTS of clean, warm water.

Also, what brand pellet are you feeding? Some are good quality & some are not so good quality. Agree about the flakes - tried them on mine & one of my guys got a gut on him - it's gone now, thankfully.

Hope that helps & good luck!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #4 
kathstew

As a treat I feed my bettas bloodworms. They LOVE them. But that is just a suggestion for a little snack for them.
And make sure you change the water regularly.
You are doing great and doing everything right.

I am sorry you lost your first betta. ): Sometimes they are just too far gone. Its sad that pet stores let them get so far gone. ):
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #5 
Wildstorm

He seems to dislike the pellets, but I try to give him at least 2 when I feed him. Most of the time he rejects them, so I end up giving him the brine shrimp in the Betta Min, he loves to eat those- but I don't feel they are good enough to live on.
I am planning on changing the water daily, and he is already showing signs of improvement. :3 He is much more alert and swimming around a lot more, which is such a relief.
the food is Hikari Betta Bio Gold

Does anyone know the betta preferences for decor? So far I know they love plants and places to hide, but I feel like my pagoda is taking up a lot of the room, so I feel like I might replace it.
Wildstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #6 
Sweeda88

Hikari pellets are primarily wheat based. Look for a pellet where the first 2 ingredients are a fish product (ie, fish meal, shrimp meal). I use the Aqua Culture brand from Wal*Mart.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote