Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #1 
FlareThis
Banned

Veiltails?

I love veiltails, they have always been my favorites, I started out with a veiltail, and they will probably always be my favorites. That being said I was wondering if anyone on here works with veiltails breeding wise? And if anyone has heard anything about the IBC possibly starting up veiltail classes again. I've heard mixed rumors over the past couple years, about the possibility of veiltails being brought back into the shows, but nothing concrete. Does anyone know anything?

I seriously want to start breeding veils, and I might anyway just to see what I can come up with. I have a wonderful local pet store that would gladly buy the bettas from me :)
FlareThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:13 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

As far as I know there is no talk about adding VT classes back. However I believe you can show VT in certain classes. Someone who is currently into showing could be able to tell you more.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #3 
FlareThis
Banned

Im an IBC member and on the better betta yahoo group a question was asked by another member about veiltails and shows, and one of the responses was this

"You could enter VTs in the ST NB class, but since they are poor examples of our ST(HM) standard, they would have a hard time placing. They should be entered in Variations class as Veiltails. But since their is no standard for variations, other than uniqueness, its completely subjective as far as judging goes. Personally if I am judging, I would love to see a exceptional veiltail with a good full flowing finnage and can handle it(not drag it on the bottom of a container). But they need to be a step above a typical pet store fish. Showing is about rewarding excellence after all. There has been talk of a few breeders working on them and showing them, but not much came of it. Again, it will come down to one or two breeders working on them and showing them. Until then there is no need for the IBC to develop a standard for them. Supply and demand as with all things."

I think im going to take a crack at developing a show line of veiltails!
Old 03-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #4 
misamiania

I hope you keep us posted! Because I honestly prefer VT over the other kinds.
misamiania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #5 
FlareThis
Banned

I really do to!! I have a couple males that Im going to start conditioning, including the new boy I bought today!!

The same IBC member also said this

"You can always enter them in the new breeder class. The one with the best combo of color and symmetrical finnage will win the class. A fish does not have to be near perfect to show. In fact even BOS fish have flaws.

The Veiltail will never become a popular show betta till someone develops them into a real veiltail(like the veiltail goldfish) fish...

Pet store bettas really aren't "veiltails" for the most part. They are just mass produced fish. They were the starting point the was used to develop the modern show betta. But the genetic raw material is there to develop a Veiltail type fish, if someone wanted to. I would use the DT gene though for volume of fin rays and a thick peduncle to support it. A fish would have to be thick and strong to support the weight/length of finnage. Trust me, its a issue with Veiltail goldfish. The best ones are powerful and strong."

I think Im going to take that advice and cross them with a nice DT female or a HM female with a DT Geno. Im excited!!
Old 03-31-2011, 02:48 AM   #6 
baylee767

By DT, do you mean double tail or delta tail?

I was considering starting a quality VT line when the day comes that I breed, too! (= A bunch of breeders need tp make a pact to work hard and create the quality VT, not one with deformities everywhere that come in few color combinations, but ones that are perfect and come in colors such as white, copper, gold, etc. (I know they already do, but it's really rare....)
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:10 AM   #7 
Luimeril

i decided that i'm going to include Veils into my Orange Dalmatian lines, when i'm ready to start them. the issue with that will be, finding a good female. so far, i've not seen any Orange Dalmatian Veiltail females. ever. so, i may have to branch off into cross-breding VTxHM.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #8 
FlareThis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
By DT, do you mean double tail or delta tail?

I was considering starting a quality VT line when the day comes that I breed, too! (= A bunch of breeders need tp make a pact to work hard and create the quality VT, not one with deformities everywhere that come in few color combinations, but ones that are perfect and come in colors such as white, copper, gold, etc. (I know they already do, but it's really rare....)
Double Tail :) I think that since Veiltail is a dominant trait, crossing a veiltails with a doubletail or super delta with help to create a veiltail tail with a wider span, but keep the distinct veiltail shape. I also want to create a veiltail that has strong fins, and a bit broader dorsal fin.

I would love to have nice fancy marble veiltails, and dragon veiltails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
i decided that i'm going to include Veils into my Orange Dalmatian lines, when i'm ready to start them. the issue with that will be, finding a good female. so far, i've not seen any Orange Dalmatian Veiltail females. ever. so, i may have to branch off into cross-breding VTxHM.
I would love to see your dalmations when you breed them!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:59 PM   #9 
mernincrazy8525

i have a pretty cool veiltail that I want to breed but not any other betta, of any tail type looks like him. a pic of him is in my album.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:00 PM   #10 
mernincrazy8525

and it is sad that aquabid doesnt have one single veiltail betta ever.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote