Old 03-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #11 
turtle10

Through their gills.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #12 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakumDRESS View Post
Really? how? Do fish sweat or something? Or maybe its the slime they have on their skin?
They release the ammonia constantly through their gills ;)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #13 
Alex09

Maybe you can get away with it maybe you cant. Like OFL always says, It's not an exact science. There are several factors to take into consideration such as filtration, live plants, type of fish, etc... Anyways, its better to understock than overstock. Why take the risk you know?
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #14 
Cravenne

If your book is correct, you could keep one 16" fish in a 10G tank. Now, that doesn't make much sense, does it. Whereas, 16 neon tetras might be ok assuming you were extremely vigilant about cleaning and had extra filtration.
Actually, the 1inch per gallon rule is really not a good rule to use literally. As a general guideline, perhaps, but..I wish people would forget that rule completely...we know a lot more now than in years past. It makes people just getting into the hobby more likely to overstock and not be prepared for the maintenance required.

Ammonia levels isn't the only thing to keep in mind. It depends on the type of fish, their schooling habits, whether they are friendly or not, what area of the tank they occupy etctec.

In cichlid tanks, for instance, over stocking is quite common to cut down on the fighting. In cases like that, you would need much more filtration than that tank is rated for.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #15 
freakumDRESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravenne View Post
If your book is correct, you could keep one 16" fish in a 10G tank. Now, that doesn't make much sense, does it. Whereas, 16 neon tetras might be ok assuming you were extremely vigilant about cleaning and had extra filtration.
Actually, the 1inch per gallon rule is really not a good rule to use literally. As a general guideline, perhaps, but..I wish people would forget that rule completely...we know a lot more now than in years past. It makes people just getting into the hobby more likely to overstock and not be prepared for the maintenance required.

Ammonia levels isn't the only thing to keep in mind. It depends on the type of fish, their schooling habits, whether they are friendly or not, what area of the tank they occupy etctec.

In cichlid tanks, for instance, over stocking is quite common to cut down on the fighting. In cases like that, you would need much more filtration than that tank is rated for.

I agree the 10 inch rule isnt great either. Maybe it depends on how much bacteria you have in the tank, how mature the tank is, the size, volume, shape... Maybe in 20 years technology will be able to calculate the amount of ammonia a fish releases, or control it! And soon, fish wont even need water!
freakumDRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #16 
Cravenne

lol...they can just float in the air! It would open up a lot of flat surfaces in everyones homes.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #17 
bettafish15

Teehee, I could take my betta for a walk someday! Take him to the park, the grocery store, even on trips! XD And they'll start making little betta harnesses!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #18 
freakumDRESS

Well, I got four platies now, with my betta in the 10 gallon. Kinda having problems with nipping. I'll post a thread about it. No bio problems though
freakumDRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #19 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravenne View Post
lol...they can just float in the air! It would open up a lot of flat surfaces in everyones homes.
I've had dreams about Mr. Fish floating around my house, haha. Numerous times!
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote