Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2011, 04:59 PM   #11 
roadrunner

if you don't have smaller container, just lower water level so if he gasping for air, he doesn't have to swim so far to get some air.
If you put your hands in the water you have to be aware that anything you put on your hands can transfer to the water and could possibly poison the fish (hand cream, hand soap etc.)
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #12 
LolaQuigs

Definitely have the water tested, though not everything in the water is likely to show up in a pet/fish store test...you might want to contact your city's water department for detailed information on parameters, additives, etc., as well as any changes to the water chemistry they may have made recently. If you can get reverse osmosis water (some fish stores will sell jugs of it) you could try that and see if it helps.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:21 PM   #13 
iheartmybettas

Also you can increase the amount of water conditioner if your water is that bad. I use prime which is 2 drops per gallon. I use 3 drops per gallon for my work betta because I can smell the chlorine that comes out of the bathroom sink. At home we have a filter on our whole house so it's not an issue but work is another story.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #14 
newbie32

I found a petstore not too far from work or home. I took some of my tank water there and my ph is too high. The pet store guy was fantastic! Explained exactly how to fix this problem. Apparently, even with water conditioner, my water is still too awful. I'm going to start collecting rain water to use in my water changes. I have some powder that the store gave to start bringing down his ph. He's been in there awhile, so he might still not make it. He's a champ though and it seems like he's trying to fight on. Poor lil guy. At least I know the problem now and I am starting to fix it. I wish I had had this water tested sooner. I've learned a very valuable lesson here. I hope my problem will prevent someone else from making the same mistakes I did! LONG LIVE KING FISHY!!!
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #15 
iheartmybettas

What was the pH?? I hope you don't drink that water. It sounds horrible!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #16 
newbie32

The ph was around 8. I'm currently working to get it to 7. Poor guy is just suffering. And no, I don't drink the water. YUCK! Unfortunately, I figured the water conditioner would be sufficient. Clearly it wasn't. It's still far to hard and full of nasties! I'm going out to buy some bottled water for the time being. Then I'm gonna try and use nothing but rainwater. If the weather will cooperate, of course!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #17 
roadrunner

We have water very soft where I live. One of the pet store owners swears that harder water is always better for the fish and keep fish healthier. I've been adding equlibrium and and Alkaline buffer to my 20G tank and my cherry barbs never looked so nice and red before.
I know bettas may prefer softer water, but they can get used to harder water and it can make your life easier with water changes. If you want to lower your PH, you may check out the Seachem Acid Buffer.
http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...cidBuffer.html
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #18 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie32 View Post
The ph was around 8. I'm currently working to get it to 7. Poor guy is just suffering. And no, I don't drink the water. YUCK! Unfortunately, I figured the water conditioner would be sufficient. Clearly it wasn't. It's still far to hard and full of nasties! I'm going out to buy some bottled water for the time being. Then I'm gonna try and use nothing but rainwater. If the weather will cooperate, of course!
Messing around with the PH too much will harm him! A PH of 8 is completely fine! Lots of members on here have a high PH with healthy bettas! If you keep changing his water type (i.e. rainwater, bottled water) that'll stress him more than anything, and he will be more susceptable to illness. I think your tap water is fine. :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #19 
iheartmybettas

I am pretty sure my pH at home is 7.8. I only tested it from our cichlid tank am having a hard time remembering if i tested it before or after i added holey rock which boosts pH. It probably wouldnt make that much difference anyway. So honestly I don't know if that is really the problem.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #20 
newbie32

I don't know. My pet store guy says 8 is too high. This stuff I'm putting in the water brings the ph down to 7 quite slowly. You have to do more than one treatment. My concern was that things would change too quickly, but I was assured it wouldn't. I'm phasing in new water. I figuer I can't keep using the bad water and all new water would be a huge change. The water is still nice and warm. I can't think of what could be wrong with my betta other than the ph. He does nothing but lay around all day and he didn't eat again today. Something is wrong.