Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #21 
FlareThis
Banned

I just noticed that the last one is a 4 ray, but his caudal has the shape of a veiltail, very interesting. Check out that lavendary dragon dalmation
FlareThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #22 
FlareThis
Banned

Love that doubletail!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #23 
mernincrazy8525

I have never actually seen a double tail veiltail until him.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:39 PM   #24 
FlareThis
Banned

Of course here is my beautiful boy who I will be spawning soon!

Old 03-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #25 
misamiania

wow he is pretty. I'm uploading a picture right now of my boy. I had never thought about breeding until I got him and my newest unnamed Betta. If and when I do breed it won't be for a few years which... sadly obviously means I can't use them. Since I guess breeding prime is deffinitly over by one year... or in most cases anyways.
misamiania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:01 PM   #26 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

FlareThis:

That is a beautiful fish! :D

With the exception of one CT, all my female bettas are VT.

Without exception, I keep bettas for their 'personality' rather than a specific color or finnage.

If the betta is healthy enough to engage in her surroundings and shows interest in me and/or the fish surrounding her, I'll give her chance.

~~~~~~~

My first betta, Baby Blue, is a VT. She's over a year old and despite one injury which deformed her top line (terra cotta pot drainage hole) and an illness (popeye) that has left her blind in one eye, she has grown into a well colored and well-finned beauty. If she was in her original state (flawless), she'd be lovely to show.

Her ultra-aggressive tendencies would make me think twice about breeding her.

Here's some questions that only a breeder can answer: When you think about breeding a pair, are you only considering physical characteristics, or does a betta's 'demeanor' get considered as well? Does a healthy betta worthy of breeding need to be somewhat aggressive, in order to be interested in breeding? Is aggression linked to their intellegence as well? (more aggressive, curious bettas survive than 'nice' bettas? Are any behavioral traits linked to any other quality you'd breed for?
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:29 PM   #27 
misamiania

Hehe I've been researching so I'll give the question's a shot! I know I have tons more searching to do but what the heck why not ^^ highlight for my answers~ hehe

Quote:
When you think about breeding a pair, are you only considering physical characteristics, or does a betta's 'demeanor' get considered as well? You want to look alot at physical characteristics and see if the pair are compatible. However you also want to consider their demeanor as well. Because if the female is too aggressive it might not turn out well. Same with the male.

Does a healthy betta worthy of breeding need to be somewhat aggressive, in order to be interested in breeding?
No

Is aggression linked to their intellegence as well? (more aggressive, curious bettas survive than 'nice' bettas?
During development as Fry until juvenile I believe so (survival rate anyways)

Are any behavioral traits linked to any other quality you'd breed for?
No.... I don't think so >>
An!~ This is my boy that can't get any good pictures so just recorded. Sorry about the sound the filter isn't very quiet in the water.

http://s1181.photobucket.com/albums/...t=CIMG0422.mp4

misamiania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:53 AM   #28 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I love DTVT. their fins can really grow! (sorry about the bad pictures)
Name:  DT - copy 02.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  10.3 KB Name:  DT - copy 03.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  12.6 KB

IMO both form and character are often passed on to offspring. If parents are egg eaters, there's a big chance you will produce more egg eaters. But I don't consider character when breeding.

Betta do not need to be aggressive to breed. But they must be active. A male that mostly keeps still often wont take care of egg/fry.

Aggression = survival. But this isn't so in solitary tanks. Never the less, an aggressive betta is more interesting to see (max spread of fins and more vibrant colors). In my area, non aggressive bettas will most likely be culled because they won't sell.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #29 
Luimeril

if i could get Cup to flare and not wiggle all over the place when i'm trying to get photos, i'd show him off. i THINK i have one pic of him on my FB.....

aahh, here we go.
Cup, still in his one gallon:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...711.1428554713

Cup, in his two gallon. look at those ventrils! :O i wish he wasn't behind his plant, though:

Cup, in a .5 KK. you can see how long his fins are. <3 i want my Dals to have fins like his!

i guess, if i knew more about "proper" VT fins, i'd say yeah, i have goals for fins. but, you'd have to go through my FB album there and tell me, if the Veils i got from Pet Lover's are good in finnage, or not. x3c i think they're perfect, but then again, those were my babes(RIP, Gackt and Hyde. </3), and Cup is just perfect(once his fins grow back. accident with a plant. D:).
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote