Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #1 
Alex919

Worm in the water?

Hi,

Just finished setting up fish's new home (5g) and I noticed a worm swimming in the water. Maybe a half inch, extremely skinny. Watched him swim around until he went into the substrate. Is this something I should be concerned about? Putting fish in tomorrow and cycling with him in. 4 live plants, 3 were tubes, 1 was in a live tank.

Since I'm new, wanted to make sure it's normal and he'll just have a snack when I put him in.

Thanks!
Alex919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:15 AM   #2 
Torat

Can you describe the worm a little better?

My Initial Thoughts:
1.) Planaria (but these are MUCH smaller than half an inch - maybe 1cm)*
2.) Flukes*
3.) Anchor Worms*
4.) Nematodes (Maybe? This is usually due to overfeeding, though - and you have no fish in there to feed, right?)

* = None of which you want.

Do you have photos, or could you draw it? Does the worm have little arms, how does it swim? If you turn off the light, does it come out, or does it matter? If you syphon the gravel, do you get a lot of 'em, or can you suck it out?

I dunno, I'm not big on aquarium parasites, unfortunately. If I had more information I'd research it for ya :\

I'd personally recommend NOT adding a fish right now, just in case.

Last edited by Torat; 03-26-2011 at 05:20 AM.
Torat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #3 
Alex919

The worm is very tiny and wiggles a lot. Almost looked like a small snake moving very fast. As thin as a piece of thread. It's a new, out of the box tank. The only thing that I can see it coming from is one of the live plants. I've only seen one of them. I used CaribSea's Flora Max which is black; looks just like thier Eco-complete, so it was very easy to see the worm against it.

I've been googling it and it would seem more likely than not, to be Planaria. Although none of the images looked just like it. I've been playing around with the plants in the tank, trying to stir up the water/substrate, etc... and I haven't seen any more...

Grr...
Alex919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Lots of critters come from live plants, which is why they need to be washed and quarantined for at least a few days, with a few weeks being best.
Im not sure what it could be.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #5 
sjones

I have seen these in my tanks/aquariums at times. From my experience they are not harmful but you do want to keep your tank clean and wash your new plants before introducing. The first time I saw one I was pretty revolted though.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Eeuuwww! That's why I'll never have live plants.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote