Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2011, 08:51 PM   #1 
russalka

Unhappy Divider/Owner Failure - What to Do?

I got home from work to find Chocolate (DTPK) on Ginzberg's side of the divided 10 gallon tank and Ginsberg (DTHM) on Chocolate's side. Both have torn fins but no damage to their bodies that I can see.

After I scooped them both into cups with lids, my hubby and I examined the divider to see whether it might have come loose somewhere. We could not find any gaps, except that on the side of the back tank where the air hoses come in there was a small gap between the top of the divider and the screened lid that covers the tank. We figured out that if I put a 3 pound weight on the back side, air would still come through the hoses and there would be no gap between the divider and the screened tank top. (I put on an extra 3 pounds on the front end for good measure). Since both fish switched sides, both had to get past the divider.

I dosed with aquarium salt and have them both floating in quarantine cups for now. Chocolate probably does not need the QT cup because he is still pretty zippy. Ginsberg was hanging near the bottom in hiding places, so I think it would probably help him to rest near the surface.

I'm trying to decide whether it's safe to let them both in the tank now that I sealed the small gap in the back. Or should I get a separate tank? (Which would make 4 tanks to take care of).

Should Chocolate stay in the cup for the night? :sigh: I'm sad.

Last edited by russalka; 03-30-2011 at 08:53 PM.
russalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #2 
bettafish15

After the salt treatment, I'd let them go back in their tanks if your sure the divider will be okay. :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:21 AM   #3 
russalka

Update - Ginsberg spent the night in a quarentine cup with a lid on it. I let Chocolate back into the other side of the divided tank. This morning Chocolate switched sides of the tank, but could not get to Ginsberg because Ginsberg was in the cup. Fortunately, when I found them Chocolate was not harassing Ginsberg. I did a water change and increased Ginsberg's quarantine tank to a 1 gallon drum inside the 10 gallon tank (with a duct taped lid). I cannot figure out how the divider is failing, but I did find someone on-line who described how he had an unusual betta who knew how to swim behind the divider frame and the glass. He saw the betta do it and figured out how to fix it with aquarium sealant but his betta population was smaller by then.

I have a long conference today, so I won't be able to do anything until this evening.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

hm, what type of divider do you have? I would get some aquarium sealant and cover the sides of the divider with that.I am sorry about your fish! I hope they make a speedy recovery! I worry about my fish switching sides all the time!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:17 PM   #5 
russalka

It's Lee's AQ2 aquarium divider for a 10 gallon tank.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #6 
Goomba3

I'm glad to hear they are doing okay, and no sad endings have happened, and hopefully will not!
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

I'd seal them, since it seems you have a sneeky little bugger.

Or, put pieces of crochet mesh in back of the part you think is suspect. Thats what I did, they couldnt even wedge themselves into it. Or, shove fake plants behind/in the crack.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote