Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #11 
LinxuSx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Usually when a fish is trying to get out like that it can be a sign that something is wrong with the water or a parasite......the heavy breathing can be a sign of gill problems related to toxic substance or parasites...my first thought when I first read this....chlorine/chloramine or some other toxic substance in the water...check the expiration date on your dechlorinater and make sure to shake well before use...some of the dechlorinator require that you use double dose (check the label) if you have chloramine in the water along with chlorine......if this was a sudden change in behavior especially after a water change it could be the dechlorinator or lack of.....

pH swings, something toxic on your hands, in the air that fell in the tank, etc.... can also cause this type of behavior

Best treatment is to make another water change and use extra dechlorinator, turn off the light and filter.....

Watch the white areas on his gills for changes...hopefully this problem is related to external parasites since they can usually recover without issues.....
First of all, thank you for the detailed response! I really appreciate it :)

I checked the expiration date on the water conditioner and it looks good.

I've got an extra 1 gallon bowl that I used to put him in, so I tried filling that up, putting a double dosage of water conditioner (shook it up), and putting the Ammonia Reducer in it, along with about a pinch or two of the aquarium salt.

He is still hanging out at the top and having trouble breathing. How long after the switch do you think he should start returning back to normal if it was something in the water / chlorine?

This could also all be in my head, but I think that his colors are becoming darker and less vivid, while the area around his gills and head is becoming whiter. Could that be a sign of something?
LinxuSx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

Sadly, if it is related to a toxic substance and/or damage due to a toxic substance...sometimes it can be fatal...this also depends on the amount of damage to the gills, scar tissue etc......that is why I am hoping it is external parasites like Ich or gill flukes....

Good that you QT, however, a better treatment IMO would be Epsom salt 1-2tsp/gal instead of aquarium salt, also if you have tannins to add to the water this could be helpful as well-Be careful with the water temp in an already compromised fish..best to keep it in the 76-77F range
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #13 
LinxuSx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Sadly, if it is related to a toxic substance and/or damage due to a toxic substance...sometimes it can be fatal...this also depends on the amount of damage to the gills, scar tissue etc......that is why I am hoping it is external parasites like Ich or gill flukes....

Good that you QT, however, a better treatment IMO would be Epsom salt 1-2tsp/gal instead of aquarium salt, also if you have tannins to add to the water this could be helpful as well-Be careful with the water temp in an already compromised fish..best to keep it in the 76-77F range
Exscuse my ignorance, but what is tannis? Is that similar to Decaff Green Tea? If so, I've got some decaf green tea packets, would those work?
Old 04-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #14 
fishman12

Sorry, I can't help much more.
What type of food is ColorBright (pellets, flakes)? Pellets are the more recommended type.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #15 
LinxuSx

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman12 View Post
Sorry, I can't help much more.
What type of food is ColorBright (pellets, flakes)? Pellets are the more recommended type.
I was feeding him flakes, but i just picked up some pellets. He won't eat anything I put in his tank however.

Changed his water in the 1 gallon bowl again and put in double dosage for water conditioner, ammonia reducer, and about a table spoon of aquarium salt. He does not appear to be getting any better... this may be a lost cause.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Tannins are from Indian almond leaf, dried oak leaf....you can use decaf green tea bags to help with stress if that is all you have.......good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #17 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinxuSx View Post
I was feeding him flakes, but i just picked up some pellets. He won't eat anything I put in his tank however.

Changed his water in the 1 gallon bowl again and put in double dosage for water conditioner, ammonia reducer, and about a table spoon of aquarium salt. He does not appear to be getting any better... this may be a lost cause.
Remember to pre-mix any kind of salt you add to the tank :D Just fyi!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #18 
Canuck Fins

What is ammonia reducer? In a 1 gallon bowl, aren't water changes frequent enough to keep ammonia levels down? I don't mean this in a snarky way. I'm just curious about this because I really do not know.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote