Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2011, 01:25 AM   #1 
shinybetta

To flare or not to flare

What are your opinions on letting males see each other? I have three males that are arranged in a triangle position so they can see each other. They spend their time flaring, building bubblenests, and begging for food. Some people say they get stressed with constant view of each other, but mine are much happier now that they can see each other. One male refused to flare (after the divider broke and he lost the fight), and when I put the third fishes tank there, he started flaring again.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:32 AM   #2 
CrowntailxKing

I think it is healthy for them to flare. Perhaps a break time would be alright, but I read somewhere that a guy had 2 brothers flaring at each other for a year with no damage.
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:37 AM   #3 
Goomba3

I think flaring is okay, and basically stretches the muscles. I have one boy who used to flare all the time when I first got him. Now, 6 months later, and he NEVER flares, even when the boy in the next section over is flaring and dancing. Nope, not fazed. Super relaxed. Now, having them see each other all the time can possibly be stressful. Or they just get used to each other. Really depends on the fish. (My dividers are white, not see-through.)
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #4 
1fish2fish

I like for my fish to be able to see each other and flare but not all the time. I've found that eventually they tend to get used to each other and stop flaring. For regular pet fish thats fine but say I had fish I wanted to send to show... I would not let them see each other all the time because then if they went to a show and didn't flare because they're used to other males being around that would be a fault on the fish.

Most breeders "card" their fish, meaning they block their fish's views of each other with paper or cardboard, etc and once or twice a day remove the cards so the fish can see each other for flaring sessions.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #5 
Ariel1719

I think Flaring is okay in doses. Not constant. My crazy boy Goose, will flare EVERY night when I turn on his light (he can see his reflection) he does not flare during the day when the light is off, or after I turn it off when I go to bed. My boy Sargent who is in my 10gal doesn't flare at all! He lives in a small community and he never flares. My two boys who have sinced passed also never flared when I got them home, but did when I went to choose them.
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #6 
denaliwind

My dudes can see each other, but they're accustomed to each other and never flare. When Duck first arrived, I placed him next to Salsa, but Salsa wouldn't stop flaring, so I switched his position with Noonie since Noonie is more relaxed. Noonie flared once at Duck and hasn't since. I still pull out a mirror, but little feisty Salsa is the only one that responds to it, hehe. I personally think flaring is healthy, but I also don't think a betta should be doing it 24/7. I think constant flaring, all day long would be too taxing.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #7 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I like for my fish to be able to see each other and flare but not all the time. I've found that eventually they tend to get used to each other and stop flaring. For regular pet fish thats fine but say I had fish I wanted to send to show... I would not let them see each other all the time because then if they went to a show and didn't flare because they're used to other males being around that would be a fault on the fish.

Most breeders "card" their fish, meaning they block their fish's views of each other with paper or cardboard, etc and once or twice a day remove the cards so the fish can see each other for flaring sessions.
I know what you mean, but only one fish is show quality and he wasn't bred by me, so no shows for him.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote