Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #21 
gmd1800

^ What JKfish means is that you take out 50% of the water twice a week, and replace it with fresh, conditioned water (did anyone mention that yet? You need water conditioner if you're using tap water to eliminate chemicals in the water that could kill your fish or make her very sick).

For the 100%, you'll need to put your fish in a cup with some old tank water, pour out all the water in your tank, and refill with clean, conditioned water, and then acclimate her to the new water.

I hope that made some sense!
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #22 
Scandalicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1800 View Post
^ What JKfish means is that you take out 50% of the water twice a week, and replace it with fresh, conditioned water (did anyone mention that yet? You need water conditioner if you're using tap water to eliminate chemicals in the water that could kill your fish or make her very sick).

For the 100%, you'll need to put your fish in a cup with some old tank water, pour out all the water in your tank, and refill with clean, conditioned water, and then acclimate her to the new water.

I hope that made some sense!
ah ok...gotcha....you need to do all this even with a filter? how often do i have to change the filter sponge? i was under the impression that a filter would lessen the water changes.

also lets say that Lulu keeps getting stuck to the filter and i take the filter out. how often would i have to change the water then?

i do have water conditioning drops and have been using them, so no worries there
Scandalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #23 
gmd1800

Yes - the filter helps to remove ammonia and nitrites in the water as well as aerate the water. It helps clean the water of suspended particles.

If by filter sponge, you mean the cartilage, most manufacturers say to replace it every two weeks or a month. Members on this board are known to not replace it for a year or more because of the helpful bacteria that develop on the cartilage. The only reason you should replace it is when it starts falling apart. Some members have had the same cartilage in their filter for over a year.

The filter does help clean the water, but not completely, so you'll need to take out the old water to avoid buildup of harmful chemicals.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #24 
Kiena

I would be careful with plastic plants-- they can rip her fins up if they have sharp edges. Bettas have very delicate fins.
Kiena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #25 
JaspersANGEL

The manufacturer's are right on how often to change the filter cartridge if it's a cartridge with carbon.

The filter cartridge's gmd is talking about are sponge cartridge's, a big handful of the member's on this site change their carbon cartridge's for sponge one's...those are more natural and I think more healthy for ur fish.
U can still use the carbon's one's once in a while to filter out the water properly, but the carbon one's are good for a month I think.

Does ur new tank have a heater?
Betta's are tropical fish and sometimes they do need hotter water then u would imagine.

O and even with the salt treatment's others recommended, u need to take ur carbon filter out and switch it to foam...as I mentioned before carbon filter's water so it will suck up all ur fishy's med's!
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #26 
Scandalicious

well unfortunately Lulu died sometime today when I was out. I came home and found her stuck between the live plant and gravel. :( poor thing. i feel really bad.

my dad wasn't that sympathetic. "just get another fish then"

i will be back at petco (for the 20x time in the past 2 weeks) to get a heater and some other stuff.

i'm gonna try and get another one but it won't be moved into the larger tank for awhile. i'm not completely sure if she got stuck or if something was wrong with the tank. i guess i should have waited until i had time to monitor her progress. the last 2 weeks have been insane here, so i wrongly assumed she would be fine in her new home. poor thing. SMH

but i now know what to do when i get a betta. thanks everyone for all the help. :)
Old 04-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #27 
Arashi Takamine

I'm sorry about Lulu. You did everything you could...Maybe she was just sick already? It seems you tried your best. I'd get a different filter if the current was too strong and clean out the tank with hot water and vinegar.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #28 
Scandalicious

^Thanks. I'm not sure if Lulu was sick or drowned. she was found wedged between the live plant and some rocks. the live plant has since been tossed.

I went and got another fish (i feel like such a traitor) and he is doing well in his temporary home ( .5 gallon glass bowl) until he gets to the new home. I did spring for a heater, the only thing i didn't find was a internal thermometer. (the one i have is an external one) Petco is all out of those so i have no idea if the water in the new home is warm enough or not. I think petco is the only pet store here. Can i get a tank thermometer from anywhere else?

the only good thing i can think to say is now i am doing everything by the book (filter, heater, ph strips, etc) lol.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #29 
Tisia

I got one from wal mart for under $2
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #30 
Bettaluver4evr

Don't feel like a traitor! It's fine. Can't wait to see your pretty new betta. :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote