Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #1 
DazzleKitty

How much is too much?

Hey all!

It's been a while since I last posted here.

I had a lot of trouble with my fifteen gallon. I lost many bettas and had to start over. Well, it's been going for two months now with minimal problems. I actually have yet to vacuum it (water is almost always crystal clear, or if it gets slightly cloudy a 30% water change does it good, which I make sure to do once a week anyways). I know I need to get to that vacuuming soon, though.
So yeah....I am pleased that it is going so wonderfully! I am super paranoid about ruining things, though. So I wanna ask a question before I go further in something I am thinking of doing.

My tank right now houses a small snail, seven male guppies, 2 tiny corey catfish, one male betta, and one kissing gourami.
It sounds like a lot, but when you look at the tank at times, it almost seems empty because the guppies and catfish are so super tiny.

I was wanting to add one more kissing gourami so I can see them do the kissy thing to each other. I recently got my gourami and fell in love with it. It's so stupid looking that it's cute. I know that sounds mean, but it's true! Haha!

But I didn't realize how big they get. They can get huge! Way too big for a fifteen gallon to properly house, I'd say, just for one. Or maybe that would be all you could put in a fifteen gallon to be happy.

I know some fish grow according to their environment. Some gold fish can grow enormous if you put them in a bigger tank. I am wondering if being in a fifteen gallon will keep its growth in control?

Also, how much is too much for a fifteen gallon? I get mixed answers. I see tanks about my size in pet stores crammed full of fish (I'm talking 30+ guppies). I am not sure if that's okay or not. I'd like to at least get one more kissing gourami, but I don't wanna doom my fish and make them unhappy. The water looks good and so does the ammonia.

My betta gets along with all of the, which is awesome. At first he seemed to dislike the male guppies, but now he is fine with them and is very communicative with me. :)

Thanks in advance for the help!
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #2 
LuckyFish

I don't know if your fish store has the same policy but at my fish store you can bring in a fish that has grown too big and exchange it for a smaller one or even store credit. I did that with my angel fish.
oh, I'm just wondering, is your gourami ever aggressive towards your betta?
LuckyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #3 
LuckyFish

like ever? ... at all?
LuckyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #4 
naturegirl243

I thought gourami could not live with bettas cause they are in the same family, cause they are both mouth breeders.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #5 
DazzleKitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyFish View Post
like ever? ... at all?
Rarely ever. I have seen him maybe kinda chase him a few times but it was rather half-hearted, if that makes sense. But usually, they are doing their own thing. They basically just ignore each other and mind their own business.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #6 
DazzleKitty

Anybody else? :(
Old 04-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #7 
leeb62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzleKitty View Post
Hey all!

My tank right now houses a small snail, seven male guppies, 2 tiny corey catfish, one male betta, and one kissing gourami.
It sounds like a lot, but when you look at the tank at times, it almost seems empty because the guppies and catfish are so super tiny.

I was wanting to add one more kissing gourami so I can see them do the kissy thing to each other. I recently got my gourami and fell in love with it. It's so stupid looking that it's cute. I know that sounds mean, but it's true! Haha!

But I didn't realize how big they get. They can get huge! Way too big for a fifteen gallon to properly house, I'd say, just for one. Or maybe that would be all you could put in a fifteen gallon to be happy.

I know some fish grow according to their environment. Some gold fish can grow enormous if you put them in a bigger tank. I am wondering if being in a fifteen gallon will keep its growth in control?

Also, how much is too much for a fifteen gallon? I get mixed answers. I see tanks about my size in pet stores crammed full of fish (I'm talking 30+ guppies). I am not sure if that's okay or not. I'd like to at least get one more kissing gourami, but I don't wanna doom my fish and make them unhappy. The water looks good and so does the ammonia.

My betta gets along with all of the, which is awesome. At first he seemed to dislike the male guppies, but now he is fine with them and is very communicative with me. :)

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sorry that is way too many fish in a fifteen gallon tank. Kissing gourami can grow up to 12 inch which is very big that means you will need a bigger tank maybe 40 gallon and up. So if you get another one upgrade to 55 gallon. You have to upgrade your tank soon if you want your fish to be healthy they will certainly die from all the waste produce. Get at least a 20 gallon for now if you can. Good luck with your fish.
leeb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #8 
shinybetta

A fish only does grow to it's tank size. However, their body stops growing, but not their organs. Eventaually they will die.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #9 
Cassandra90

I have 2 kissing gouramis in a 55 gallon and they are both 4 inches long and over a year old.
I would suggest rehoming the kissing gourami. They get very teritorial when they get older and very aggressive. Unless you are willing to buy a large enough aquarium for the one you have and another.

I think your stock is a bit overstocked but once rehoming the kissing gourami or upgrading it to a larger tank you should be fine. Just keep up on the water changes and try not to over feed.

I hate to be a pain but also the cories should be in a group of 3 or 4.

Good luck though!
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

You have to remember that stocking in fish shops are temporary...just like the Betta in small cups at the fish shop..same goes for the other fish...this is for re-sale and display only.....not long term housing......

As already posted....large species of fish kept in small tanks may stop growing but the gut/organs don't and the fish will die a horrid death...its just a matter of time before you start having problems in your tank due to poor stocking.....re-home the kissing fish and increase your cory cat numbers...unless you have rooted plants you need to vacuum at least weekly to keep the nitrate under control.....clear water doesn't always mean good water quality....even with good water pram numbers you still have DOC's (dissolved organic compounds) that we can't/don't test for that are harmful to the fish/livestock...water changes are the best way to control this....

Remember you stock based on adult size of the fish-not the size you buy them...you also stock based on chemistry, water temp needs, territory and swimming needs along with compatibility......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote