Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #1 
DaveC

It's been 25 years since my last Betta...

Got him from a now defunct LPS. Lived with me for a couple of years. I probably did about everything wrong with that poor fish. Pre-internet, and no local Betta fans that I knew.

For the last several years I have been watching 3 rescue goldfish slowly grow in their 30g tank. 3 goldies is more than enough fish for that tank.

I am thinking of getting fish for my desk at work. I have space for maybe a 10-15g tank, if I'm lucky. Way too small for goldies. Remembering my betta fondly and seeing frequent recomendations of Betta as the most suitable fish for small tanks, I am considering getting a tank and setting up for a Betta and maybe a couple of companions at work.

I would prefer a tank large enough to cycle and filter with partial rather than full water changes.

Any recomendations as to Bettas, other fish, tank size/style, etc. I have a small, maybe 2g hex tank, just the tank, or can buy a larger tank.

Locally we have Wal*mart (no fish), 30 miles away Wal*mart that I think has fish, and 70 miles away Petco (or maybe petsmart) and a really nasty hole-in-the-mall pet shop. (This is where I rescued my goldies from, before the petco opened).

I waited about a month for the goldfish tank to finish cycling before adding fish, so I'm not in a rush.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Got him from a now defunct LPS. Lived with me for a couple of years. I probably did about everything wrong with that poor fish. Pre-internet, and no local Betta fans that I knew.

For the last several years I have been watching 3 rescue goldfish slowly grow in their 30g tank. 3 goldies is more than enough fish for that tank.

I am thinking of getting fish for my desk at work. I have space for maybe a 10-15g tank, if I'm lucky. Way too small for goldies. Remembering my betta fondly and seeing frequent recomendations of Betta as the most suitable fish for small tanks, I am considering getting a tank and setting up for a Betta and maybe a couple of companions at work.

I would prefer a tank large enough to cycle and filter with partial rather than full water changes.

Any recomendations as to Bettas, other fish, tank size/style, etc. I have a small, maybe 2g hex tank, just the tank, or can buy a larger tank.

Locally we have Wal*mart (no fish), 30 miles away Wal*mart that I think has fish, and 70 miles away Petco (or maybe petsmart) and a really nasty hole-in-the-mall pet shop. (This is where I rescued my goldies from, before the petco opened).

I waited about a month for the goldfish tank to finish cycling before adding fish, so I'm not in a rush.
That sounds like a very nice thing. Im sure a betta at work would be very happy, especially with what I assume will be a nice tank.

Considering you dont want full changes, you will need to have a filter. A filter allows you do not need 100% changes. I recommend (if you can get it) anywhere from a 5-10 gallon tank, because this, with a filter, will allow for not only smaller but less frequent changes. Cycling is a great idea, so if you can cycle while at work, this will allow your changes to be even less. Adding in stemmed plants, as well as other lives plants, will make the changes even less frequent.

I recommend the marineland 5 gallon hex for a "smaller" tank. It comes with a great filter that's great for cycling and fish enjoy it. Its "cousin", the bow (which fits well into corners!) is also a good option.

Bettas, unlike goldies, need a heater, so you will need to provide one. What wattage you get depends on the tank's size. Also, a bucket and a siphon are great to help with easier, speedier partial changes.

You seem to know about fish, so Ive tried not to baby you (haha <3), but there are two betta care stickies in the care section that are great help for learning betta 101. THe one in my sig is a step by step.

Im not sure what youre looking to spend on fish, but aquabid.com is a great place for "disigner" bettas, theyre beautiful. If youre looking for a betta in one of those stores, look for the healthiest you can! <3
I hope you have fun deciding what to do :3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

Hello & WELCOME to the forum!!! :)

May I suggest this Hawkeye 5 gal. tank from Wal-Mart? I own three of them and LOVE them and they LOOK bigger than 5 gals. for some reason!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258

The filter it comes with will need to be baffled - at least mine did. I use an aquarium sponge & rubber band it to the outflow. With the lid on, you can't see it.

The only thing you need to buy for this tank is gravel & a heater. I would suggest a 25 watt submersible, adjustable one.

I had all three of mine shipped since I don't live near a Wal-Mart & have read not all stores carry the tank.

As for bettas, I can't say enough good things about this seller on AquaBid:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...ler&84elmo2001

Good prices on the fish, IMO, doesn't charge an arm & a leg for shipping, the fish are packed VERY well and I have NEVER gotten a DOA or a bad fish from them in the two plus years I have been getting fish (bettas and angels) from them!!!!

Again, WELCOME and hope that info helps.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #4 
Irish Dancing Man

That Hawkeye is so cheap, I've been saving up for a 5 gallon W/out lights and it was 10 dollars more!
Irish Dancing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Dancing Man View Post
That Hawkeye is so cheap, I've been saving up for a 5 gallon W/out lights and it was 10 dollars more!
Then you should jump on the Hawkeye!!

Just so you know how I baffle the filter, here is a pic of what I did:

P.S. The light you see in the picture is the light that comes with the tank. :)
Attached Images

Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #6 
Irish Dancing Man

I can get it yet, I had a diseause crisis in my 37 gallon community and I spent almost ALL my money on more stuff to save my fish. (which was like 25) I put 75% of my income into college cause i want to go to butler. Anaway I have 3 people hiring me for weekly lawn mowing this summer so I will have that tank (which will be my 3rd betta tank) in a few weeks!!! :)
Old 04-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #7 
Abby

LMAO! sorry i had to LMAO at the thread title sounds a little like an AA meeting but we should totally start our own AB meetings (addictive bettas) LMAO
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #8 
Irish Dancing Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
LMAO! sorry i had to LMAO at the thread title sounds a little like an AA meeting but we should totally start our own AB meetings (addictive bettas) LMAO
I thought you were laughing at me having a diseause in my community tank at first lol
Old 04-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #9 
YoshesMom

congrats on coming back to the world of bettas! im so excited for you if it were me I would make the extended trip to petco ive gotten many of my betta from there and there all beauties and quite healthy but I do show up on shipment days and patrol the betta and am fairly well known there because I will tell them exactally what is wrong with the betta and make them take them off the shelf if sick :) and ive never held my tongue if i feel they need water changes. Petco has a much better selection then petsmart as well my petsmart ( which is closer ) only stocks crowntails and veils :( my petco has almost anything I want from dragon plakats to melano doubletails! ok im babbling lol im just excited for you i'll shut up now again welcome
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #10 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Dancing Man View Post
I thought you were laughing at me having a diseause in my community tank at first lol

NEVER im sorry it sounded like that but im a lil sick and i was laughing so much i had a coughing fit lol
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote