Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #1 
jesstanner

Did I do okay?

So on Sunday I went to petsmart. After hours of research on Betta fish I thought I had everything figured out and that I would be able to get exactly what I needed for my first ever Betta fish. I think my brain stopped! Picking my Betta wasn't very difficult because a lot of them didn't look very healthy and because I'm a first timer I knew I wouldn't be able to nurse them back to health. So here I am standing in the fish area holding this Betta Fish trying to find fish tanks and freaking out because I can't remember any of the information I had researched. It was a tramatic experience! I ended up leaving that day with a 2.5 gallon tank, Betta pellets, Freeze dried blood worms, a submersible heater, a submersed filter, and an adorable blue male Betta fish who I immediately named Pez (Spanish for fish). Two days later Pez is in his tank with a little pot, an orange plastic plant, and one of those leaf hammock things. The heater is set at 78 degrees and the filter is running. Pez is not the most active guy, but he looks healthy and happy and he DOES flare at mirrors which I will admit to freaking out with excitement over when he did it at first. My only questions now are:
1. Do you think I could find a better filter for a 2.5 gallon tank? The one I have now sits inside the tank, and just takes up WAY to much room! Is there a small one that you guys could send me a link to that sits outside the tank? (PS it has to be quiet because Pez lives in my room)
2. Is 78 degrees a good temp?
3. Will 2.5 gallons be okay for a first timer like me? I really don't want to have to go out and buy another bigger tank but I will if you guys REALLY recommend it!
4. He's not eating. Anything. He won't eat the food pellets, and he only stares at the worms?!
5. How often do you guys think I need to do partial and full water changes? I repeat: It is a 2.5 gallon tank, it does get sunlight during the day but it's not direct, it does have a filter

Okay thanks guys! I posted another thread and I got AWESOME responses but I just wanted to do another! Thanks!
jesstanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

I would give Pez time to eat and leave him for a bit. For new betta's I give them at least a half an hour to eat because they might not be immedietly interested. I gave Akira a few pellets his first day and by evening after eating one pellet every twenty minutes his appetite returned and he was flaring and begging for food like a little psycho. You did everything right by getting him pellets, worms, a big tank a heater a filter...You did everything perfectly! I'm not too sure on water changes for a 2.5 since I have a 1.5 but I think your on the right track.

Give Pez some time to explore and give him a lot of time to eat before trying to remove them. As I said new betta's should have some time to eat and if they don't nom right away leave the food in there for at least twenty minutes if it's not a fast sinking type of food so he can get to it. Akira was the shyest little fish when it came to food until night struck.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #3 
LolaQuigs

My tanks all came with filters, so I'm sorry I can't give you a recommendation there. But you sound like you're doing everything right! 78 is perfect, and a 2.5 gallon is just fine. A larger tank would be lower maintenance, but as long as you don't mind doing water changes twice a week (two 50% water changes --one just siphoning out 50% of the water, the other siphoning out 50% of the water while vacuuming gravel/cleaning substrate), there's nothing wrong with the size of your tank. They do like lots of (silk or real, not plastic) plants and a cave in order to feel secure, so if you don't have those yet it would be a good idea to get them.

New bettas often take some time to adjust, continue trying to feed him (removing any uneaten food) and eventually he should come around. Remember to use the pellets as a staple and the bloodworms as an ocassional treat.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #4 
jesstanner

Okay thanks again you guys are awesome!
jesstanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #5 
Gerty7408

The only other thing I would suggest would be to get one of those 5 in 1 test kits for all of the water issues (like pH, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, etc) and maybe a water conditioner :)
Gerty7408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #6 
Irish Dancing Man

Cover up the little hole in the bottom of the put with something safe for water. I think theres something called aquarium paste or something. He might try to swim through the little hole and get stuck./
Irish Dancing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

You got conditioner, right? If not, you need it. Your set up is great, so long as you have that.

Please take care to change is water at the least every 2-3 days at 50%, with the filter constantly running. Without it running, your tank requires a 100% change sometime that week in addition to 50% changes. C;
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote