Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #1 
tsoto80

Unhappy Bad Girls! Bad!

okay so I was only gone for a few hours and come home to find all my females bloated. Pele especialy is so huge I dont know what to do with her. I think were snacking on a tetra that died cause I seen a big chunck of a fish in there. So do I salt the whole 20 gallon tank or each seperatly? Also Pele is breathing very heavy and getting air every few seconds. I think she indulged herself too much!
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #2 
tsoto80

dont know why I bother posting noone ever helps me when I have a question. Well Pele is doing a lot worse since yesterday I just hope she makes it
Old 03-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #3 
Sweeda88

I'm sorry. I'd help, but I don't know much about diseases. =/
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #4 
tsoto80

I know Sweeda Im just frustrated. Maybe if I get a picture of her everyone will see why I am so worried
Old 03-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #5 
Sweeda88

Maybe. I hope someone can help you.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #6 
iheartmybettas

I am no expert either but I am pretty sure that OFL recommends epsom salt treatments for bloating. Maybe search for epsom salt discussions to see her exact dosage and everything. I would probably separate them out of the tank. I don't know that it would be good to potentially have epsom salt in the tank all the time since changing the water might not get it all out once they are better. Rather float each one in the tank in a cup or something and tape to the edge. Sorry I can't help more!
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #7 
Crazykat

Not an expert, but I can tell you what I've heard/done. I know it's terrible waiting for a solution while your fish are sick. So, here's something to get you started.

The dosage for epsom salt is 1 tsp per gallon. Get some vases, or containers to tape onto the edges of your tank and put your girls in those for treatment. You'll want to change the water in the little containers every day so you can add new salt. It's much easier to treat in smaller containers and if your fish are having problems getting to the surface, it will be easier in a shallow container. Some people recommend cooked pea or daphnia for bloating, but I've heard just as many people say it's a bad idea, so I'm not sure if you want to give it a try or not. I've never tried the pea or daphnia, but I have had the epsom salts work for me. Make sure you fast them as well. I hope your fish all get better!
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #8 
tsoto80

Thank you guys. I do have some daphnia so I will see if that helps. only thing I have that I could as a treatment tank is two 1 gallon bowls. is it possible that they could eat so much they "pop?"
Old 04-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry I got to this thread so late but how are your females doing now?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote