Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #1 
luluo

Heater/Temp question

Hi everyone. I just got my first fish today. His name is Dargo, a handsome blue/multi double.

He is in a cycled 10g planted tank. He is very active and is exploring all over so I think he is doing fine so far. One thing I am a bit concerned about is the temperature of the tank. During the day, the water by the heater reads 78-79F and over on the far side it is about 77F. At night the temperature by the heater reads 76F so it is about 74-75F on the far side. My heater is a 50w Fluva 'E' for up to 15 gallons. I'm wondering if you more experienced betta peeps think I should get the Fluval 'E' 100w that is for up to 30 gallons.

Thanks!
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #2 
Irish Dancing Man

Both those temperatures are fine but you don't want it fluctuating. Is it on one side of the tank? If it is put it in the middle of the tank.
P.S. - You picked a really large tank thats awesome. Do you have a filter? How often do you do water changes?? I'm not sure if your new to betta fish or not so just making sure
Irish Dancing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #3 
luluo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Dancing Man View Post
Both those temperatures are fine but you don't want it fluctuating. Is it on one side of the tank? If it is put it in the middle of the tank.
P.S. - You picked a really large tank thats awesome. Do you have a filter? How often do you do water changes?? I'm not sure if your new to betta fish or not so just making sure
Put it in the middle! Oh my gosh. lol. Yes I am new to bettas and fish in general. I will try putting the heater in the middle. I feel silly. :)

I do have a filter. It is a Rapids Power filter. I like that I can adjust the flow. It is turned down low and he seems to be doing fine with it. I don't think it's knocking him around.

After the tank cycled I did a big water change, about 80%. That was a few days ago. Tested the water again last night and all was well. I plan to do about a 10-15% water change twice a month. Do you think that is sufficient?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

IMO, no. I sincerely believe the best is 50% weekly - and some do 50% twice a week even on cycled tanks. :)

Just noticed your guy is in a 10 gal. planted tank. One 50% weekly should be terrific!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #5 
Pufffreely

i run fluval e's in three of my tanks. This heater is wonderful but prone heat distribution problems. It will dispay low flow warnings on sceen. Try getting the heater as close to your filter as you can. My 75g has 2 fluval C4 filters and a E300. I had to place my heater lenghtwise between the filters,near middle of tank,and it stays at 78.5
Posted via Mobile Device
Pufffreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:28 PM   #6 
luluo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
IMO, no. I sincerely believe the best is 50% weekly - and some do 50% twice a week even on cycled tanks. :)

Just noticed your guy is in a 10 gal. planted tank. One 50% weekly should be terrific!
Ok. Will do. :)
Old 04-07-2011, 12:05 AM   #7 
Pekemom

Congrats on your handsome new boy!!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote