Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #1 
fishylegacy

Water change question

I have a single male crown tail betta. He lives alone in a 5 gallon Hexagon tank with a filter. How often should I be changing his water? The little booklet said that once a week was fine with so little fish, but I'm not sure. He's been with me for about 3 months and is doing fine right now. Also heard you can vacuum the gravel and want to know how it is you do that. Thank you!
fishylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #2 
Lion Mom

And you haven't cleaned his tank at all in the time you have owned him????

The usual practice is a 50% water change with a gravel vac once a week. Since - if - he has not had it changed in 3 months, I would do a few small changes over a week or two to get him used to the new procedure & water. After that I would go with one 50% weekly.

You vacuum the gravel with a gravel vacuum. :) Like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gravel-Vacuum-Pe...6#ht_500wt_762

Last edited by Lion Mom; 04-06-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #3 
fishylegacy

No!!! I've changed his water. Once a week I do a 50% water change and every other week I do a 100% water change and take his gravel out and rinse it out. I was just wondering if this was enough. I'm sorry if the first post sounded like I never cleaned his tank! I was wondering about the gravel vacuuming thing because I wondering if there was a better way to clean his home then ripping the whole setup out.
fishylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #4 
Pekemom

Not necessary to remove your gravel!! I put Brooke in the little container she came in, while I take out the decorations. (a couple of freeze dried bloodworms keep her happy and busy). I remove two gallons weekly from my five gallon tank by siphon.

As the water is being removed, I 'vacume' the gravel using the siphon. It sucks up larger pieces of debris as i move it around the tank and into the gravel. I rinse off the decorations in old fish water and return them to the tank. Then add the treated fresh water, a bit of aquarium salt and a few drops of a water clarifier. Then Brooke goes back to her freshly-cleaned home!!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote