Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #11 
Shayna09

I only have one Julli but he is very buddy buddy with my peppered. I was actually wondering if that was normal LOL - he's like the leader of the pack, it's so cute.
Shayna09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #12 
Torat

You could go with a school of 4+ ottos. I have some in my tank, and they are great. They're apparently picky about water since they're all pretty much wild-caught, BUT I have NEVER had a problem, even when I had bronchitis with fractured ribs and pleurisy and let my tank go for three weeks (AKA: kinda crappy water).

Literally, my little ottos are a hoot. I love watching them. They're these itty-bitty little fish with these big, fat bellies (at least in my tank, I have a mini-algae farm in the planted tank, all good algae). In the wild, they school together in giant groups, so having a small school is key or they'll get stressed out and die off.

Edit: I have a cycled tank with very hard water and a seemingly high pH. I keep the tank they are in at 79*. I supplement their diet the same way I supplement my snails' diets - I throw in a weighted piece of clean lettuce for a little while and later take it out. My tank does have a filter, and it is highly planted - these fish like broad-leafed plants. You could probably wing fake plants if your tank is established with a healthy bit of algae in it. (IE: leave your light on all the time and throw in some plant fertilizer, even if you have no plants - you'll get some algae.) Otherwise, if you're leery on algae, you can throw in some algae wafers. Mine also like the flake food that the filter throws down into the plants, they eat a little bit on that, but not much. I have a low-flow tank. They did much better and were much more active when I upped the bubbles comin' outta my bubblemaker. Now they zoom in and out of the bubbles. It's truly adorable.

They're kind of plain, brown with little markings. But they're full of personality. I have regular gravel in my tank on top of a layer of ADA planting substrate - but it's pretty thick to where they wouldn't even be able to get to the finer substrate. They do just fine. I actually haven't seen them ever just suck on the gravel. They're usually all over my plants, especially the anubias. Or on the driftwood (which has a patch of teeny green algae about the size of a quarter and doesn't get bigger because they seem to eat it). (I don't mind that algae - it's the long stringy stuff that happened right after I set up my tank that scared the poo outta me, lol.) Or they're on the glass nibblin' on the algae that grows on the front and sides of the tank (small little dots, it's not really noticeable). They dance together, and have these cute little movements.

I'm a big fan, as you can tell. My girls are fine with them. And when I had them in with Ulmo, he was fine with them. And it's nice because they don't get very big. Mine are at least half a year old since I've had them, they were adults when I got 'em, and they haven't grown at all. Still about an inch in length.

The panda cories I got were about half an inch long, and my girls picked on 'em. Literally, you could see Beatrice chasin' 'em down and pickin' at 'em. Ended up pickin' a spot on one of 'em. I brought 'em back and got more ottos. BUT cories are super-cute and I'd recommend those as well.

Last edited by Torat; 04-06-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Torat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #13 
Amaya Yuy

Thanks all =]

I ended up getting three "green" corys, 2 ghost shrimp, and an ADF. They are in with Liam my blue HM DT. They are all doing well. Liam loves his cave lol and the shrimp spend most of their time up in that shell =P
Amaya Yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #14 
shinybetta

ADF's prefer to be kept in groups, and corydoras should really have sand. Other then that, nice! They will fatten up quickly!
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:44 AM   #15 
Amaya Yuy

Thanks

I was going to get a few of the ADFs but when I went in they were on sale so there was only 1 left! There had been a whole tank full the day before. I don't want to over crowd the 15 but with what I have in it now would it be able to hold a few more ADFs or should I transfer them to another tank? Thanks for the info =] and the advice! =D
Old 04-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #16 
trono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torat View Post
You could go with a school of 4+ ottos. I have some in my tank, and they are great. They're apparently picky about water since they're all pretty much wild-caught, BUT I have NEVER had a problem, even when I had bronchitis with fractured ribs and pleurisy and let my tank go for three weeks (AKA: kinda crappy water).

Literally, my little ottos are a hoot. I love watching them. They're these itty-bitty little fish with these big, fat bellies (at least in my tank, I have a mini-algae farm in the planted tank, all good algae). In the wild, they school together in giant groups, so having a small school is key or they'll get stressed out and die off.

Edit: I have a cycled tank with very hard water and a seemingly high pH. I keep the tank they are in at 79*. I supplement their diet the same way I supplement my snails' diets - I throw in a weighted piece of clean lettuce for a little while and later take it out. My tank does have a filter, and it is highly planted - these fish like broad-leafed plants. You could probably wing fake plants if your tank is established with a healthy bit of algae in it. (IE: leave your light on all the time and throw in some plant fertilizer, even if you have no plants - you'll get some algae.) Otherwise, if you're leery on algae, you can throw in some algae wafers. Mine also like the flake food that the filter throws down into the plants, they eat a little bit on that, but not much. I have a low-flow tank. They did much better and were much more active when I upped the bubbles comin' outta my bubblemaker. Now they zoom in and out of the bubbles. It's truly adorable.

They're kind of plain, brown with little markings. But they're full of personality. I have regular gravel in my tank on top of a layer of ADA planting substrate - but it's pretty thick to where they wouldn't even be able to get to the finer substrate. They do just fine. I actually haven't seen them ever just suck on the gravel. They're usually all over my plants, especially the anubias. Or on the driftwood (which has a patch of teeny green algae about the size of a quarter and doesn't get bigger because they seem to eat it). (I don't mind that algae - it's the long stringy stuff that happened right after I set up my tank that scared the poo outta me, lol.) Or they're on the glass nibblin' on the algae that grows on the front and sides of the tank (small little dots, it's not really noticeable). They dance together, and have these cute little movements.

I'm a big fan, as you can tell. My girls are fine with them. And when I had them in with Ulmo, he was fine with them. And it's nice because they don't get very big. Mine are at least half a year old since I've had them, they were adults when I got 'em, and they haven't grown at all. Still about an inch in length.

The panda cories I got were about half an inch long, and my girls picked on 'em. Literally, you could see Beatrice chasin' 'em down and pickin' at 'em. Ended up pickin' a spot on one of 'em. I brought 'em back and got more ottos. BUT cories are super-cute and I'd recommend those as well.
I so much want some otos. My tank is very near cycling (with betta) and I'm going to get some in the next month.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #17 
Shayna09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaya Yuy View Post
I was going to get a few of the ADFs but when I went in they were on sale so there was only 1 left! There had been a whole tank full the day before. I don't want to over crowd the 15 but with what I have in it now would it be able to hold a few more ADFs or should I transfer them to another tank? Thanks for the info =] and the advice! =D
You have room for two more BUT I would recommend putting them in a different tank anyways. They have a hard time seeing and they eat from the bottom.. whatever the betta misses the cory cats will eat before your ADFs get a chance.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #18 
Shayna09

Sorry for the double post but just realized... LIAM, haha that's funny, that's my husband's name.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #19 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaya Yuy View Post
Also, if they are called green cory cats, I would be careful. They are probably brochis splendens. Brochis splendens get large, and they look and behave like cory cats. Sand Is a must for both species. I would get quikrete play sand. 4$ for 50 pounds! If they are brochis splendens I would return them.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #20 
Amaya Yuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayna09 View Post
You have room for two more BUT I would recommend putting them in a different tank anyways. They have a hard time seeing and they eat from the bottom.. whatever the betta misses the cory cats will eat before your ADFs get a chance.

Sorry for the double post but just realized... LIAM, haha that's funny, that's my husband's name.
Thank you for the recommendation. I guess I'll move him to my 5.5 gallon. It's empty now so that would work out =]. I have a sinking pellet type food for him that the fish lady at Petco said they feed their ADFs (I got him from Petco).

Haha about Liam =D I love the name Liam If I had kids I'd use the name also lol.