Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #981 
Canuck Fins

Laura, I'm not sure. I know it's pretty common for them to spit food out though while eating. Are you feeding pellets or flakes? And do you have any uneaten food to scoop out after a few minutes or he is eating something? Sometimes fish just take some time to settle in to the new home; sometimes they won't eat at all for the first few days but bettas can go without food without harm for a few days. :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #982 
margotandfishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Fins View Post
Sometimes fish just take some time to settle in to the new home; sometimes they won't eat at all for the first few days but bettas can go without food without harm for a few days. :)
That's exactly what happened to me. It took my fish about half a week to kind of settle in and realize the pellets I was dropping in his tank were his food. If he doesn't start eating soon try some blood worms or something to get him to eat something and it might be that you're feeding him something he totally isn't used to like my guy.
margotandfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #983 
Scandalicious

barry needs a "shelter" to rest in. i can tell he wants some place to sleep but so far all i have in the tank is one plastic flower. i had another plastic flower piece and i saw him get tangled up in it so i removed it.

i've been to petco a few times and have not found anything in the store that is small enough for my 2 gallon tank and safe enough for him.

can someone post some suggestions?
Scandalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #984 
Canuck Fins

You could use a coffee cup or a terra cotta pot on its side. It's important to have smooth edges that won't catch your fish's fins and with openings big enough he won't get stuck.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #985 
Scandalicious

Quote:
You could use a coffee cup or a terra cotta pot on its side. It's important to have smooth edges that won't catch your fish's fins and with openings big enough he won't get stuck.
thanks for the suggestion CF. I will look for one of those. I think the problem is my tank is more tall than wide and alot of the terra pots are rather big and the smaller ones have jagged edges that concern me. i will look into it too
Old 04-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #986 
Canuck Fins

Does anyone else's fish act hyper sometimes? Swimming around really fast and changing directions often? It doesn't seem to stress out my fish.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #987 
Scandalicious

Quote:
Does anyone else's fish act hyper sometimes? Swimming around really fast and changing directions often? It doesn't seem to stress out my fish.
barry has been doing that in his new tank but i think the shape of the tank is what is confusing and frustrating him. the tank is shaped like a hexagon and he is trying to swim out beyond the tank but cant. he usually figures it after awhile but i noticed a few times he did that last night.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #988 
chargers505

Hello. I think that's how they entertain themselves. My fish does it all the time. I guess he's exercising?
chargers505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #989 
NEWBEE FISH

how can you tell if a snail is dead?... i like to know before it rots in my tank..
Do snails sleep?
NEWBEE FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #990 
Tisia

pick it up and smell, apparently it's pretty obvious if it is
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote