Originally Posted by 1fish2fish
I would stop treating with the coppersafe and the salt until you know what your actually treating. Don't worry about infection because as long as your doing daily or every other day water changes that should prevent any infection.
My first impression is that he may have internal parasites and that would be where I'd start first. Even with my rescue fish who may have numerous problems my first order of business is de-worming them. Most OTC worming medications are very gentle and effective so it's a good place to start.
As for the spot on his lip it doesn't look like ich or velvet IMO.
Ich will be easy to spot, even on him. It'll look like salt grains on his body. Velvet can be harder to spot but still..I'd rule out internal parasites first since you haven't been able to see anything.
Have you tested your tap water and dechlorinated water? It could be that your water has ammonia or something in it causing him to get sick. Unfortunately a lot of thai fish do not make it because they cannot adapt to the harsher water conditions of living in the US.
My last suggestion would be to order some IAL or blackwater extract and add that to his water to soften it up a bit and make it more like the water he was probably in back in Thailand and see if that helps.
What foods are you feeding?
That makes sense- What type of medication would you recommend for internal parasites? Go figure, I have meds for external, fungus and bacteria but nothing for internal. I will need to order something off the internet. Would internal parasites still cause him to dart around and scratch up against things? His appetite is pretty good, and he has not lost any weight. In the beginning he got frozen blood worms for about a week, that was all he would eat. Now he will eat 1 -3 pellets a day but he chews them and spits them out, repeat, repeat, until most is gone. He will gobble up a blood worm like a pig. For the most part, he ends up with 1-3 pellets and 1 frozen blood worm a day.
I have the API freshwater master test kit, and just double checked ammonia levels and they are at 0. My pH is a little on the high side- 7.8. I knew this before I got him, but from what I have been told, it is better to let them adapt to it then mess with it too much? Thank you so much for your help!