Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #1 
tokala

Can he have velvet or Ich?

I am starting to suspect that Diablo has velvet or Ich, but he has no rust colored dust on him or white spots. Is it possible that he might not show those symptoms? He is showing all the other symptoms.
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #2 
wanabegoodmom

I think it's quite possible! Mine had it for about a week, maybe more, before I could see it... and I was looking for it. Velvet especially can be hard to see.
wanabegoodmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

What are the symptoms your talking about? Ich and velvet are both parasites of sorts so if your not seeing that chances are its not either of those but something else.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #4 
tokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
What are the symptoms your talking about? Ich and velvet are both parasites of sorts so if your not seeing that chances are its not either of those but something else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well, I have had him for about a month (Shipped from Thailand) and I don't feel like he has ever really been all that well. Whe I first got him, I noticed one of his gills is a bit swollen and wont shut all the way. At first I thought it was just the way he was, but still did a week treatment w/ aq salt. At the moment, his symptoms are rapid breathing, clamped fins (although that seems a little better today) lethargic most of the time with short bouts of darting into anything and everything (developing scratches on his side). Late last night he seemed to be tipping on his side a little while resting at the surface. He was in a 7.5 Gal heated, none filtered tank and got a daily 50% water change and 100% weekly. A few days ago, I bought him a 2.5G minibow, heated, unfiltered to use as his QT tank. Thats what he is in right now. I raised the temp to 82 degrees and have been treating him with coppersafe for 3 days now. I removed all live plants before the treatment began. I have not notice much of a change in him. I still have never seen any sign of velvet even with a flash light. But he is silver so it may be hard to spot Ich. I am at a loss :(
Old 04-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #5 
tokala

I should add i am still treating him with aq salt in conjunction with the coppersafe. I knowlong term exposure to salt is not healthy, but i was worried about his scratches getting infected. I will aslo add that he is a super picky eater and for a while the only think he would eat are frozen bloodworms. I know those can carry parasites on them and could have been the original source?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #6 
tokala

Here is a picture where you can see his swollen gill. and a potential spot of ick or velvet on his lip? he came with it, and it has a shimmer to it so i just figured it was part of his color pattern but maybe not...
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

I would stop treating with the coppersafe and the salt until you know what your actually treating. Don't worry about infection because as long as your doing daily or every other day water changes that should prevent any infection.

My first impression is that he may have internal parasites and that would be where I'd start first. Even with my rescue fish who may have numerous problems my first order of business is de-worming them. Most OTC worming medications are very gentle and effective so it's a good place to start.

As for the spot on his lip it doesn't look like ich or velvet IMO.

Ich will be easy to spot, even on him. It'll look like salt grains on his body. Velvet can be harder to spot but still..I'd rule out internal parasites first since you haven't been able to see anything.

Have you tested your tap water and dechlorinated water? It could be that your water has ammonia or something in it causing him to get sick. Unfortunately a lot of thai fish do not make it because they cannot adapt to the harsher water conditions of living in the US.

My last suggestion would be to order some IAL or blackwater extract and add that to his water to soften it up a bit and make it more like the water he was probably in back in Thailand and see if that helps.

What foods are you feeding?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #8 
tokala

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I would stop treating with the coppersafe and the salt until you know what your actually treating. Don't worry about infection because as long as your doing daily or every other day water changes that should prevent any infection.

My first impression is that he may have internal parasites and that would be where I'd start first. Even with my rescue fish who may have numerous problems my first order of business is de-worming them. Most OTC worming medications are very gentle and effective so it's a good place to start.

As for the spot on his lip it doesn't look like ich or velvet IMO.

Ich will be easy to spot, even on him. It'll look like salt grains on his body. Velvet can be harder to spot but still..I'd rule out internal parasites first since you haven't been able to see anything.

Have you tested your tap water and dechlorinated water? It could be that your water has ammonia or something in it causing him to get sick. Unfortunately a lot of thai fish do not make it because they cannot adapt to the harsher water conditions of living in the US.

My last suggestion would be to order some IAL or blackwater extract and add that to his water to soften it up a bit and make it more like the water he was probably in back in Thailand and see if that helps.

What foods are you feeding?

That makes sense- What type of medication would you recommend for internal parasites? Go figure, I have meds for external, fungus and bacteria but nothing for internal. I will need to order something off the internet. Would internal parasites still cause him to dart around and scratch up against things? His appetite is pretty good, and he has not lost any weight. In the beginning he got frozen blood worms for about a week, that was all he would eat. Now he will eat 1 -3 pellets a day but he chews them and spits them out, repeat, repeat, until most is gone. He will gobble up a blood worm like a pig. For the most part, he ends up with 1-3 pellets and 1 frozen blood worm a day.

I have the API freshwater master test kit, and just double checked ammonia levels and they are at 0. My pH is a little on the high side- 7.8. I knew this before I got him, but from what I have been told, it is better to let them adapt to it then mess with it too much? Thank you so much for your help!