Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #1 
mollyyymo

Outdoor tub setup

Hi everyone! Long time no see...

This summer, I will be attempting an outdoor spawn in a large, clear storage bin. I want to provide LOTS of plants for my bettas so that they are very comfortable (and the female has plenty of places to hide if she needs to), but I have no clue where to start.

Should I go with pond plants or just regular aquarium plants? What specific kinds? Where should I buy them from, as far as online sources? AquaBid seems to have some great deals on plants, but if there's a place I could buy them from that I don't have to be nervous about, that would be awesome.

I have a few large, dried IALs, but beyond that, I'm pretty unprepared. I will be finishing up with the semester in mid-May, so I thought it would behoove me to start planning now.

Let me know if you have a good idea for a setup!
mollyyymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Any type of aquatic plants will work.....I am getting my outside setups ready now too....I like to get the oak leafs in my containers to start steeping and time for plenty of life to happen/grow...lol...like mosquito larva and other critters....I want my spawning container full of life that the Bettas can feed on....its still too cold in my area even for the plants outside but I have been collecting larva for a couple of weeks now...still wish it would start raining.....I like to use rain water to start them off outside in so when it does rain they don't get too much of a pH shock......

Most any plant will work but I like to use floating plants...but pond plants would work too....I did one with just willow branches as the only plant and it was fine.....I fill half the bucket with oak leaf and let them start to rot and turn the water nearly black and I will clean out and trim plants in the aquariums and toss all my cutting/trimmings in these 5gal buckets along with water lettuce and frogbit

I would check into pond shops or places that sell pond supplies...they usually have lots of floating plants and bog type plants, I don't order a lot on line but the one time I did I used sweet aquatics and was very happy with the plants
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #3 
mollyyymo

Thanks OFS! I remember your thread about the outdoor spawns, it was pretty inspiring. I'll try to attract some critters to my tubs as soon as I move into the new apartment...

Are there any plants that could poison the bettas? Maybe that's a silly question, but I just want to make sure nothing harms Aung San Suu Kyi and whoever may be swimming around with her. :)
mollyyymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

None that I am aware of....by-products from rotting plants can be harmful-especially fully submerged non-aquatic plants...but I am sure you know that already....

Too many tangled roots that can prevent them from getting to the top to breath or trapping them.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote