Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #991 
phoenix91

I want to set up just a plant aquarium with no fish, maybe some shrimp. i'm thinking a 5 gallon set up would be an okay size. Would the substrate i pick depend on the plants? any advice on which plants are easiest to maintain.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #992 
trono

I want a marimo ball, but according to Petsmart they require at least a 20 gallon tank. I have a 10 gallon. Is this true?
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #993 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by trono View Post
I want a marimo ball, but according to Petsmart they require at least a 20 gallon tank. I have a 10 gallon. Is this true?
Nope, not true. :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:33 AM   #994 
trono

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
Nope, not true. :)
Cool. I will get one soon then.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #995 
Scandalicious

what is normal betta fish behavior?
Scandalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #996 
Canuck Fins

Normal as far as what? My fish is very active swimming around although he will hide if he gets startled. At feeding times, he comes right to the top where I feed him. He flared a lot when he was first settling in but I haven't seen him flare the last couple of weeks much. He has built a bubble nest but it's not a frequent thing for him. During his quiet times, he likes to hang out in his plants.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #997 
Canuck Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix91 View Post
I want to set up just a plant aquarium with no fish, maybe some shrimp. i'm thinking a 5 gallon set up would be an okay size. Would the substrate i pick depend on the plants? any advice on which plants are easiest to maintain.
I'd expect the requirements for a planted aquarium are similar whether it's a betta or a shrimp tank. I've got gravel in my tank with java fern, aquatic wisteria and bacopa. The java fern is weighted down, not planted, but both the wisteria and bacopa are planted in the gravel. The java fern has new leaves since the fish went in the tank. I haven't been using any root tabs or fertilizer, but without any fish or shrimp, that might be something you'd have to add. Certain plants are probably more greedy about having those extra nutrients.

I think there are some plants that do better with sand, but I don't know enough about sand bottomed aquariums to advise you.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #998 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Fins View Post
I'd expect the requirements for a planted aquarium are similar whether it's a betta or a shrimp tank. I've got gravel in my tank with java fern, aquatic wisteria and bacopa. The java fern is weighted down, not planted, but both the wisteria and bacopa are planted in the gravel. The java fern has new leaves since the fish went in the tank. I haven't been using any root tabs or fertilizer, but without any fish or shrimp, that might be something you'd have to add. Certain plants are probably more greedy about having those extra nutrients.

I think there are some plants that do better with sand, but I don't know enough about sand bottomed aquariums to advise you.
Hygrophila needs fine substrates and does well in sand, though is often considered "easy", which is why it usually dies in new aquariest s tanks :)

PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #999 
phoenix91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Fins View Post

Thanks, i ordered some java fern and am going to find something, stones most likely to anchor it to. I want wisteria but everything i looked at in the petstore was awful, i'll have to check out a garden store. i also bought plant food so i can add it to the water. with no fish i figured i'd need somewhere for the plants to get nutrients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Hygrophila needs fine substrates and does well in sand, though is often considered "easy", which is why it usually dies in new aquariest s tanks :)
I'll look into hygrophila as i have black 'sandy' substrate. i can't remember the brand i bought but it's fine.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #1000 
eengland

Question about cycling. My levels are ammonia 0ppm, nitrites 0ppm, and nitrates 5ppm. Does this mean I have finally completed cycling my tank? And how long should I wait to make sure it is stable before adding my fish to it?

Also, I have be using aquarium salt to help with his tail biting. It helped for awhile but now he has bitten off what had healed and more. He had fin rot after the first go around with it. Do I need to continue to use the salt to prevent fin rot again until he stops or do I stop and use it if I see it again? I feel he will do better in his big tank. *sigh*
eengland is offline   Reply With Quote