Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2011, 01:47 AM   #1 
CrowntailxKing

OK! Third times the charm!

So, many of you have probably read my problems with the microbow1 killing my new halfmoon, then killing the replacement halfmoon...well today I bought a trendy looking half gallon container for the replacement-replacement plakat halfmoon (the container said it was a PKHMDBT, but I didn't see the split in the tail and the cashier said "Well I gotta go by the container marking and there is a slight split...after further inspection after I bought it, there was no split but it was only a buck or two extra for the DBT anyways...but I digress). Anywho, I got the Marina Betta Kit (1/2 US gal.) along with a bamboo plant to place in the center. Since he is about the size of a female, do you guys think it will be alright to just keep him in that? I will be keeping up with water changes and will try to find a small heater or something to keep him warm as well. I'm usually not a fan of the 1/2 gallon containers, but if he doesn't seem to mind it is all well if I can get a heater? I originally was planning on buying the half gal so I can temporarily keep him in there until I could return the Microbow1 and then just keep the bamboo in there and keep it as a decorative piece or a QT for sickies.
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:09 AM   #2 
trono

1/2 gallon is terrible for bettas. People around here recommend at least a 2.5. Though if you can a 5 or 10 gallon filtered, heated and cycled would be much much better.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #3 
CrowntailxKing

Yeah, as I said, I am not usually a fan of 1/2 gallon and I usually suggest 2.5 gallon to others myself. Also, I said this was a temporary thing, but if he seems to enjoy himself I was just wondering if that would be alright to keep him in it. I was disturbed at PetCo. because on their "Betta Care Guide" that they had graciously posted, they said Betta fish do BEST in 1/4 gallon of water or more!! I was like "WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ONE-FOURTH????"
Old 04-07-2011, 05:55 AM   #4 
Harley

Exclamation

To me I wouldn't do anything smaller than a 1 gallon. Once you can save up for something bigger, use the 1 gallon for a QT bowl. Although the fish may seem fine in a 1/2 gallon, bettas like more space than less space. IMO it's kind of like a tent, its fun for a while but in the end you can't wait to get back to your comfy home where there's room to relax. Also once you have a 2.5+ gallon tank, you can cycle it, heat it and filter it and do less frequent water changes. I used to have a 1 gallon bowl and Harley seemed fine but once I got his new 10 gallon tank, he swims like crazy (in a good way) in there and seems to love the extra space.

Last edited by Harley; 04-07-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #5 
CrowntailxKing

Yeah, I like the tent illustration :) Im going to buy a 1 gallon tank because I don't have space for anything much larger. I could probably find space for a 2.5 gallon tank, but that would be kind of pushing it. Btw, money isn't an issue here...it's just space management x_x
Old 04-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #6 
Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowntailxKing View Post
I could probably find space for a 2.5 gallon tank, but that would be kind of pushing it. Btw, money isn't an issue here...it's just space management x_x
I know what you mean. I had to re-arrange half of my living room to get the 10 gallon in
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #7 
Pekemom

Maybe consider a tank that is more vertical than horizontal, if funds are not an issue. I love my 5 gal Fluval Chi, and it doesn't take up much space on my kitchen countertop.

http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/addinfo/fluval-chi.cfm
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #8 
CrowntailxKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekemom View Post
Maybe consider a tank that is more vertical than horizontal, if funds are not an issue. I love my 5 gal Fluval Chi, and it doesn't take up much space on my kitchen countertop.

http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/addinfo/fluval-chi.cfm
Funny thing, I actually HAD a Fluval Chi 5 gal (not more vertical but a cube anyways) but my parents told me it was too much for a fish tank...But anywho, I went to the my LPS and asked them if they had any experience with the Aqueon Microbow1 set up and they recommended some "Stresszyme" stuff which is basically a bottle of bacteria used to help set up new tanks. I guess I will try to put my fish back in the microbow1 and keep a VERY close eye on him. He's had a few days to strengthen up in the half gal, so hopefully he will do alright now. And I scrubbed the gravel and whatnot since the others had passed.