Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #1 
Arashi Takamine

Plant food that's okay for betta's?

My dad is forcing me to do this guys. Akira's tank has zero nitrates and strangly enough no ammonia. He thinks it's the bamboo so what kind of plant food is safe for betta's?

(Note: I don't believe it but....I'd rather take precautions that were unnecessery then drive to walmart with a dead fish.)
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #2 
christina

As long as the bamboo can stick out of the tank a bit, I've heard of great success. I am terrible at keeping bamboo though, it always dies on me :P But plants do "eat" ammonia and with something like a betta it might be enough. Nitrates and Ammonia aren't nessarily good for the fish :P so don't worry about having none.

Do you have a filter? Also, how long have you had Akira? What kind of tests are you using? (Some tests are not accurate. One test I had said I had "trace" amounts while I was trying to cycle my aquiarium, when, by the smell of it, I had much more than "trace" amounts.)
christina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

I don't have a filter. I've had Akira for about a week now. I use PH quick dip test strips and a liquid ammonia test kit where you fill a test tube with tank water then add the correct additives to see what the ammonia level is. The alkaline level is pretty high though. (7 is what my dad claims it to be.)

Thank you very much. I knew Nitrates and ammonia were bad for the fish but my dad was convinced that something was wrong and that the plant would die without the nitrates.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #4 
christina

Well, it's true that plants do use nitrates... however, (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong if they know better- as I said I was terrible at keeping bamboo alive) from my experience most bamboo is planted in pots where it uses tap water and is rested on rocks, much like an aquarium setting... only, no fish. In all my readings I haven't found "plant food" very helpful for bamboo- in fact they seem to be very sensitive to getting too much nitrogen. However, there is aquarium plant-food at your lps that should be non-harmful to the fish if it's having issues. My filter has zeolite in it which takes out all the ammonia, and my plants in the aquarium have yet to die. I do put the occasional plant food in my bamboo- but mostly I just fill it up with whatever old tank water I have.

I'd just make sure the bamboo was a little out of the water (they're not full aquatic plants and need to be a little out of the water, even if it's just a leave or two) and keep an eye out for browning. I've read they only live a year or so anyways, but I have a feeling that's the same reason people say bettas and goldfish only live a year or so... that is, poor care.

Bettas produce (compared to other fish) fairly little ammonia, so chances are the bamboo is already using the ammonia the betta is producing. Keep an eye out for it getting too high. Also, I wouldn't expect to show nitrates until after the tank starts cycling, especially if the bamboo is using the ammonia.

(I live in the dorm so I have 2 "house plants", a thing of bamboo and my betta in a planted aquarium. so it's minimal experience, but they tend to do all right.)
Old 04-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #5 
Arashi Takamine

Thanks so much. I'll relay this information.

EDIT: My dad is now trying to prove everyone wrong on this. I wish he'd just believe me.

Last edited by Arashi Takamine; 04-08-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #6 
christina

no problem. I've been seeking ways to make my bamboo last longer, and low nitrates does not seem to be the most common reason for death. Things that do is too much light, too little light, too little water, too much abosortion of heavy metals or salt. In the case of aquatiums (where too little water is VERY unlikely) it is being completely submersed and the light issue. They like indirect mild light. They're fairly low light, but they are living plants :) Now that I have bombarded you with the anecdotal information I have heard...

GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #7 
Arashi Takamine

Thanks...My dad's now trying to prove us wrong...*sigh* I wish he wouldn't do this and just be more open minded....
Old 04-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #8 
christina

:) Research is good, I encourage it! As much as I love the advice I get from forums (these people tend to actually have experience and not just trying to make money) a lot of what people can say is not always accurate. I am an imperfect source. So research until you feel comfortable with your answer. (or your dad does ;) ) You'll probably still find flaws in your answers through experience as well!