Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2011, 01:14 AM   #1 
Siren1974

Torn Tail :(

I've woken up this morning and Trevor has a really bad tear in his tail. No idea what he could have caught it on, everything in the tank is smooth and the plants are all real :/ Is there anyway to help it heal faster ?
Siren1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:30 AM   #2 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
Since you don't have any idea what he could have caught it on. This means there is not a filter in your tank, correct?
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:34 AM   #3 
Siren1974

There is filter, but there doesn't appear to be any sharp edges on it
Old 04-05-2011, 02:09 AM   #4 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
I may be getting ready to log off, soon. But, we are getting somewhere with your situation. What type of filter is it? Is it an internal filter or a power filter with an intake? The reason for the questions is this: Your fish can be treated; But, your filter could be contributing to the problem. Also, what is the size of your tank? If I log off before I see an answer, I am sure someone else will come along to help, as well.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:26 AM   #5 
Siren1974

It's an internal filter. The tank is 15 litres in size. Think that's about 4 gallons but not sure about the conversion. The filter has a tube the the water drops from instead of a "chute" that forces the water across the tank
Old 04-05-2011, 04:38 AM   #6 
Siren1974

I'm going to treat it as fin rot. Done a 25% water change today (after a 50% yesterday) and added some medication for fin rot. I managed to get a few pics this morning. It's not an easy job, Trevor is mental and camera shy lol

Hope this helps
Old 04-05-2011, 05:25 AM   #7 
Abby

No dont treat for fin rot

EDIT: Yes add a little medication his edging looks a little ragged and brown tinged.
but that is a tear most defiantly. he sounds like hes gotten his tail stuck or sucked into the filter intake and torn it freeing him self.

if you have an old set of stockings (PANTIHOSE) slip it over the intake and secure it, it will prevent him having his tail sucked into it further

Last edited by Abby; 04-05-2011 at 05:28 AM.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #8 
luvmybetta

Since it is an internal filter, you may want to add the pantyhose, stockings, tights, to your filter when you get the chance. The pantyhose, stockings, tights, (which ever name you know them by) need to be placed over the filter intake (the place where the water first enters the filter). The pantyhose, stockings, or tights are then secured in place by something (I use a rubber band). You can use something else to keep this in place. The main thing is that you secure the pantyhose, stockings, or tights to the filter intake to keep your Betta's fins from getting stuck on the filter intake (especially because it is an internal filter given the size of your tank). If it were a power filter, I was going to suggest something else. This may work for you. I have used internal filters in the past and never had a problem with fin tear from an internal filter. I am not saying that it cannot or won't happen. I have just not experienced your situation using an internal filter. I hope this method works for your Betta.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #9 
Siren1974

It's amazing how fast Trevor's tail has healed. It's not been a week but it's looking sooo much better! I've done a few daily water changes and added some fin rot medicine which seems to have done the trick