Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #21 
Amaya Yuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
Also, if they are called green cory cats, I would be careful. They are probably brochis splendens. Brochis splendens get large, and they look and behave like cory cats. Sand Is a must for both species. I would get quikrete play sand. 4$ for 50 pounds! If they are brochis splendens I would return them.
I'm pretty sure they are Cory's. This is mine
This is a Brochis Splendens

Also how do you clean sand substrate? Obviously I couldn't use my gravel vac lol. Do you just pooper scoop it =P any info would be nice because everyone time I see sand in an aquarium it's so dirty.

Thanks in advance
Amaya Yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #22 
Littlebittyfish

Sand does show everything when it gets dirty...especially if it is white..That is mostly because any debris that falls sits on the top of it rather than going in between the gravel. It is pretty easy to clean once you get used to it. I use a bulb syringe/ turkey baster to suck up and poo and plant debris that falls, you can use a gravel vac as well I believe, you just don't want to dig into the sand with it. You can hover it over the sand about an inch or two in small circular motion and that works pretty well.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #23 
Atolon

I'm wondering, I might get a 15 gallon tank as well.

Would 4 Panda Cories, 4 neon tetras, and 2 male bettas (divided of course) be pushing the limit?
I'm planning on getting a 30 gallon tank filter, so I dont believe waste will be a problem. I would put the cories on one side and the tetras on the other
Atolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #24 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atolon View Post
I'm wondering, I might get a 15 gallon tank as well.

Would 4 Panda Cories, 4 neon tetras, and 2 male bettas (divided of course) be pushing the limit?
I'm planning on getting a 30 gallon tank filter, so I dont believe waste will be a problem. I would put the cories on one side and the tetras on the other
It would work if it wasn't divided and there was only 1 betta. I'm not sure how well it would work divided...Tetras are schooling fish and like to have a lot of room to swim. The tetras may become nippy if kept in such a small area with a betta.Some cories can get up to 3".
15 gallon standard measures about 24 x 12 x 12.
Divided they would have a 12x12 square.

4 cories in a 12x12 space would be very crowded as they got bigger.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #25 
Shayna09

I love the name Liam too. =P Don't have much choice though, really.

About the ADF's... they do very well in groups of two or three or more. But yeah, they need fairly low water levels so they can swim to the surface and breathe as well as access to food. =) The pellets sound alright, definitely supplement their diet with frozen bloodworms. They LOVE them. When I had ADFs with my Betta fish I had a hard time getting food to them - the Bettas would gobble it all up before it could sink.

I actually have a female betta who fights for my cory cats algae pellets! There are six of them and only one of her though, so she never wins LOL.
Shayna09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #26 
ollief9

Get Platies. They are small, pretty and work well with Bettas. In my fish store they Bettas are in the same tanks as Platies and get on well.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote