Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #11 
Thunderloon

If you have an established tank you can just divide the cloth plants and existing gravel from it and put half in the new tank.

Then you can feed imaginary fish in it. I've found that tubifex worms work MUCH faster than most other fish-less cycle starters. I've had nitrite spikes in my tank within minutes of adding the cubes before.

If you don't feed with tubifex just get a cup of water from existing tank then stir in whatever you do feed with then dump that in the new tank.

What filtration are you considering, are you talking about a 10gallon kit tank or a do-it-yourself DIY where you get a tank, a lid you like, heater you like and filter you like?

I've discovered the Aquaclear 20 rocks for low flow high support. Not that I like anything else about it XD. I find myself wanting them to be twice as deep.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #12 
kathstew

Thunderloon - I don't have an established tank, so I will ask for some gravel from the petstore.
Feeding the imaginary fish, is this with the shrimp method, or just using the fish food?

I was thinking either this kit:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ckid=wish_list

or a DIY with this filter:
or this filter:

But I am leaning towards the kit.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #13 
Fermin

Starting a fishless tank cycle by adding pure ammonia is really easy and fast - you don't have to worry about decaying shrimp carcasses stinking up your house. You can buy pure ammonia at any hardware store for <$2.

The API Freshwater Master Test Kit is excellent and worth the investment.

Since you are new to cycling and unfamiliar with cycling parameters, do some internet searches on 'tank cycling' or 'fishless cycle.' Here is a good site to get you started: http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/fishless/fishless.html

Good luck!
Fermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #14 
DaveC

I started my tank by seeding with water from the petstore and amonia. If you can get squeezings from a filter, or an old filter when they change them. Lots of good bacteria, just make sure it's from a healthy tank.

Avoid "sudsing" or scented amonia. It still took mine a little while, but it was worth the wait.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #15 
JackisLost

There's so many different methods and processes. Just cycle it with one betta. Save yourself the time and money. It won't hurt the betta more than a uncycled tank with 100% water changes weekly
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #16 
trono

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackisLost View Post
There's so many different methods and processes. Just cycle it with one betta. Save yourself the time and money. It won't hurt the betta more than a uncycled tank with 100% water changes weekly
That's what I did and the cycle is nearly complete. I had the betta in a 1 gallon bowl and just couldn't stand to keep him in there a day longer. I put him in the new 10 gallon tank 24 hours after I set it up and have been doing 20% water changes twice a week.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #17 
luluo

If these links is not allowed, mods, please let me know. This is the information I used to cycled my 10 gallon tank. It is the best info I have found for a fishless cycle.

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php

Also, I use the API Freshwater master test kit to test the water. I bought it, along with other supplies, from aquariumguys.com. It was less than $20 and it is going to last me a long, long time.

Having live plants will also help the tank to cycle faster. Java Fern is easy to grow in low light. I haven't killed mine yet so it must be easy to grow...lol.

My tank cycled in about 4 weeks.
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote