Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #1 
Torat

Torat's Sorority Pictures

Hello :D

I figured I'll skip posting a new thread each time I decide to share pictures of my sorority and my girls' shenanigans :D I take pictures of these girls all the time, they're so incredibly interesting, it's fantastic.

Beatrice lookin' for somethin' to eat. The girls were ALL OVER this area of the tank that night, and my ottos were nuts over here, too. I had added the duckweed (from the 5 gallon, see below) and the java moss (from the pet store), maybe somethin' came in with that.

These two run the tank - Mara and Beatrice. (This is why Beatrice's tail is currently messed up - she put Mara in her place earlier this week. Beatrice runs the tank, and Mara was reminded. We have scuffles sometimes :} ) These two are eatin' that yummy-somethin' in the anubias.

Mara was especially interested in whatever was in this plant. She literally spent about an hour diggin' into it. All you saw was her little belly. Every time the otto got closer, she'd look at 'im like, "You better get movin'! It's mine, sucker!" He'd move away, suckin' his way down the leaf, then suction onto the front of the glass. She also scared Beatrice away multiple times. The few times she moved away from the plant, Asia came through the driftwood hole just behind the plant and would sneak over here to eat at the yum, too.

Beatrice peakin' outta the hole in the top of the driftwood (it goes further behind the anubias, where there's a low opening). She looked to see if Mara was still eatin', and then went to go eat herself (lol).

Mara was still eating. She didn't want to share with Beatrice, so she chased her into, and out the other side of, the driftwood.

So Asia (who was chillin' in the space between the hole the others went into and low-lying opening behind the anubias) came out to check out what Mara was so desperately trying to keep to herself. She pigged out until Mara came back.

The girls eatin'.

Muriel just stays out of it. She's realized there's somethin' yummy in the java fern. And she's smart about it, too. If one of the other girls came over (Beatrice or Asia - Mara was too busy gettin' fat) around her, she would pick at the gravel and then swim around. The moment they left, she'd return to her java fern. She's been very leery of potential conflicts with the other girls since her experience with Natalya/Nikita. You can see her broken little fin in this :{ (Red one right in the front - you can actually see how the scales around it look a little different, and how it's at an awkward angle.) She's such a trooper, I love this fish :}

[You can also tell she avoids fights like the plague because her fins are perfectly intact! The rest have some teeny chunk or other out of 'em (Beatrice is the most affected, since she fights with every other girl to maintain "Queen").]

Asia lookin' at Muriel like, "I KNOW I just saw you eatin' that fern, babygirl. I'm keepin' an eye on you. You go back to that plant and I'll be all over it - and you - like white on rice!" And Muriel just swimmin' around in the plants avoiding the java fern as if it didn't exist. (The java fern right up in front.)

REALLYBIGPICTURE:

Dinnertime in the sorority. All the girls!

Oh no! Mara saw Muriel eatin' at the java fern! Muriel began swimmin' away. You can almost see the look of shock on Muriel's face, like, "I can't believe I didn't hear you swimmin' this way, you fatty! How could I be so oblivious, so incredibly focused on this yummy little tidbit?" Of course, Mara looked at the java fern, nosed around a little bit, then went back to her anubias. Apparently she has a more refined taste in aquarium delicacies.

Mara swimmin' back to her anubias. Asia swimmin' up for air, and Beatrice yawnin'.

The java moss and duckweed are new, but the girls LOVE the java moss at the top of the driftwood, here. I keep trying to get a picture of it because it's so cute, but 2-3 of them actually rest here, side-by-side, just barely touching each other. Kinda like one of those betta leaves. It's SO adorable, and SO incredibly unusual. I LOVE it. But they literally just set themselves on the little java moss patch and chill out. I haven't seen just one do it, it's always at least a pair and a friend. (Usually it's Mara, Beatrice, and Asia. Muriel stays away, and rests on the tall, tall anubias leaf that proceeds to go from almost at the bottom of the tank to 3 inches out of the water. That's her favorite resting spot. BUT I have seen Muriel and Asia resting at the junction together. It's like a little mattress :}

Mara pickin' around in the gravel - just got done chasing Beatrice away. Muriel is trying to killdeer Asia away from the java fern by swimmin' around the driftwood.

And I'm gonna post these, because I can (Not a betta, but still an anabantoid... so hopefully I don't get chewed out. If you guys don't mind or are interested in these guys, lemme know and I'll keep posting a photo or two every once in a bit of these guys...) :}

My Sparkling Gourami Trio: [Cleaning Day!]

The male goin' up to the top of the tank :}

Pretty boy :D

Sparklin' indeed. Look at 'er!

I have one male and two females. These two seem to have paired up more than he and the other female have. These two spawned once, but when I cleaned the wee tank, I hadn't been aware of it (I only saw the embraces) and cleaned the leaves of the anubias (like I do for algae), and disturbed the bubblenest under it. :{

(5 gallon planted species tank, filtered with a sponge filter. LARGE driftwood piece in the middle. Only fish in the tank, one baby snail. This is where I moved the duckweed from (it took over the top of the tank, so I moved some to the 10 gallon - with it being so prolific in my tanks, I'll soon have enough for all the tanks and then some, lol. They're about 1/2 an inch [females] to 3/4 inch (male). Adults - haven't grown in the 5 months I've had 'em in this tank. They eat flake food, infusoria, baby brine shrimp, pretty much anything I throw in there if it's small enough to fit in their mouths.)

Last edited by Torat; 04-07-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Torat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #2 
pdxBetta

The gouramis are really cool!
pdxBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #3 
BettaMama11

Loved looking at the pictures of your girls!! Your tank looks awesome too!!
BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #4 
Torat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxBetta View Post
The gouramis are really cool!
Thank you. I adore these little fish - they're a hoot. Super-easy to care for, too. I love that they don't need much space for more than one. Five gallons, three fish. (Bigger is always better with any fish, but mine have a lot of hiding spots, and I haven't had a problem.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMama11 View Post
Loved looking at the pictures of your girls!! Your tank looks awesome too!!
Thank you :D
Old 04-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #5 
FireKidomaru

Sweet tank! Sounds like a blast for your girls! Cute fishies too :)
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #6 
Sweeda88

I think your girls may have been eating infusoria.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #7 
Torat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireKidomaru View Post
Sweet tank! Sounds like a blast for your girls! Cute fishies too :)
Thank you :D You should see my tank before I trim it!

My girls are a hoot. I adore them. They are fantastic. Beatrice and Mara seem to look really dark in these photos, they're more iridescent and colorful than these show, so I'll try to get some that show how truly gorgeous they are later :}

I always take pictures after trimming, mainly because the plants aren't in the way as much (lol). But when the cabomba, hornwort, and frill goes for a few days, it's so beautiful. I have a few photos in my albums. Otherwise, like in the photo in this thread, I'd say it needs more plants for a sorority. But once they get a few days of just grow-time after the trims, it's fine. I love the natural look of it, but usually I end up having to trim pretty quick because my crypts are super-picky about their lighting and the tall plants are all kind of clustered around the same area and block out too much light :\ The trimmings end up in the boys' tanks until they root, then they go in the guorami tank, or stay in with the boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
I think your girls may have been eating infusoria.
I agree I know some got brought into the guorami tank when I purchased the duckweed from the LFS, and that tank always has somethin' going on in it. They eat it pretty well but whatever, so it could be that it got brought over from the guorami tank when I transferred the "extra" duckweed from there to the ten. This was the night I transferred it over.

I've had the duckweed in the guorami tank for months, so I didn't quarantine it. It was quarantined before being in the guorami tank, and that tank's NEVER had problems [knock on wood!], so I wasn't too worried about just throwin' it in with the girls.

It was just cute because they ignored their regular food (which is CRAZY for Mara!) to pick at the plants :D