Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #1 
christina

Personality of tail type or color?

I've heard PK are some of the most aggressive, followed by crowntails. I've also ... er... noted that I've never seen an active veiltail. If I were a fish I'd imagine I'd be pretty easy going if I had a tail like the Halfmoons do... But I was curious if you had noted anything like that?

I also hear that "pastel" colors tended to by more docile... any experience with that?

I've only had two crowntails and both were fierce little guys. Especially my first one.

... what about health tendencies or things like that? have anyone noticed correlations?
christina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

There's not really any correlation between tail type or color and personality. It all depends on the backgrounds of the individual fish.

People say reds are more aggressive than other colors but I've seen very docile red bettas and I've also seen very aggressive pastel bettas.

The reason that most people say VT are not active is because 99% of people see VT when they are at the pet store, cold, probably hungry, and in desperate need of a water change. My VT is in a 10 gallon planted tank and extremely active, as are all my halfmoons,in fact the laziest fish I own is my big PK male.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #3 
christina

so by bg, what do you mean? Like the ones in petstores are more docile? or that just like humans they all have their own personality?
Old 04-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #4 
gmd1800

Related to this (sorry for hijacking!) - I read that the more showy bettas with large fins (such as HMs) have more nervous dispositions. I think it was on UB that I read this. The posters were saying that if their large-finned males tailbit they were put in breeding, and ended up breeding their tendency to tailbite in further generations. Is there any evidence of this actually happening?
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

Backgrounds.. genetic history. Some breeders have very aggressive lines while others are more docile. Everything is genetically determined.

Tailbiting has not been proven to be genetic but I believe it can be which is why I will not breed a fish that chronically bites its tail.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #6 
christina

ah, interesting. So nothing seems correlated to tail type hu? I thought since they were so different something would show through.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #7 
denaliwind

From my own personal experience, my HM is my most aggressive little guy, he'll flare like crazy if given the opportunity and jumps for his food, he's also super active. My DT is a pretty chill guy, makes bubble nests every day and usually doesn't flare, every once in a while something seems to provoke him to flare, but it's pretty rare. He's also an active guy, but no where near like my HM. My HMPK is my most docile guy, he eats food like a little princess, one delicate bite at a time, lol. He casually, calmly swims about and he also works on bubble nests daily and rarely flares. They're all unique and I'm sure someone will post that their HM is their most docile and their HMPK is their most aggressive. Individual personalities for the win! :D

Last edited by denaliwind; 04-09-2011 at 09:46 PM.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #8 
LittleNibbles93

I don't think tailtypes have much to do with how a fish acts.

I had a CT once, he was the sweetest thing ever, he never bothered his tank mates (had him in a community tank), he was very calm and relaxed.
My second CT was shy. (though, he only lived a week :c I still feel bad for that)

Now I have two VTs, my female is the more energytic betta I've ever seen, I swear she is high on caffine. And my male is relaxed, active, and flares at everything that moves around his tank.
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote