Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #11 
roadrunner

Not sure where you located, but sometimes LPS may carry some so you may want to call around. Members/breeders from your area may have some, so you could ask then if they can spare or sell some. That would be probably the fastest way to get them. And of course you can order them online.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

I would get him in a small QT container and start fresh water changes...no salt and see how he does.....even with well water your metals may be some of the problem and you may need to get a product like Prime to help until he gets used to the metal levels....you can also filter your well water in fresh activated carbon/charcoal to help rid some of the metals if that is the problem.....external parasites could be the problem too and they could be hidden in the gill plate area....I don't use OTC medication so I can't advise on the use...I only use natural methods...sorry......

Try and keep the water temp in the 75-76F range just in case it is Flexibacter columnaris...google it and see if it fits what you are seeing in him.....hopefully it is not Flex......but not uncommon in fish that come from poor conditions like what he came from at the shop......

Another option would be using Epsom salt 1-2tsp/gal and tannins from IAL or dried Oak leaf while in QT along with 100% daily water changes.....

Good luck and sorry I couldn't be of more help......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #13 
JillyE

Thank you, both ; ) You helped me alot. I will do the best for him I know how, hopefully, it will have a happy ending.
Hugs,
Jilly
JillyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #14 
Thunderloon

Does your sink get iron stains?

This behavior seems a lot like a parasite, so the store's advice is probably correct. For parasites you need to treat for at least ten days and often going two dose cycles beyond the end of symptoms is best
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #15 
JillyE

Hi,
Went to our local Aquarium store tonight. They seem alot more informed then Petsmart/Petco. They actually employ Marine Biologist.. ; ) I took several picture's in, and we decided to treat him for Velvet. Got him on some Quick Cure tonight and he has already calmed down.

To answer your question, no, we have no rust stains. We do have a water softener, and just had (paid big bucks) our water analysed (sp), and the test came back perfect. I (hobby) breed Ragdoll kitten's, so water quality is important!

Thanks,
J
JillyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:19 AM   #16 
roadrunner

Glad to hear he is doing better, keep us posted.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote