Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #11 
Betta Fet

Thanks alot for the guide. I want to try some live plants and this is a good place to start.
Betta Fet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #12 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra90 View Post
http://www.plantedaquariumscentral.com/. If you use the code BETTAFISH (all caps!) at check out, you'll get a 10% discount. Well This was a while ago but it may still work. They decided to give this forums members 10% off since we recommend buying from them so much.
Ha! Thats the one! I couldnt remember, bagh. Thanks!

And Im glad it helped you, I hope things go well with your plants!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #13 
Cassandra90

They are really good, all my plants I bought came in good shape
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #14 
phoenix91

I have a question about what to do when first introducing plants. I have my tank set up, the substrate is in. So far i have 1 lonely amazon sword in there and the filter is running. I should be getting some plants i ordered in a few days, a java fern and some marimo moss balls. I added some rocks to attach the fern to and the marimo balls i can just put somewhere.

So, when first adding the plants how often should i change out the water? I will e getting a few more plants when i find suitable healthy ones, do i need to wait before adding them or just add them? I won't have any animals in the tank for a while and when i eventually do it'll just be a few shrimp.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #15 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix91 View Post
I have a question about what to do when first introducing plants. I have my tank set up, the substrate is in. So far i have 1 lonely amazon sword in there and the filter is running. I should be getting some plants i ordered in a few days, a java fern and some marimo moss balls. I added some rocks to attach the fern to and the marimo balls i can just put somewhere.

So, when first adding the plants how often should i change out the water? I will e getting a few more plants when i find suitable healthy ones, do i need to wait before adding them or just add them? I won't have any animals in the tank for a while and when i eventually do it'll just be a few shrimp.
You should still QT the plants for a little while, because there is a good chance theyre harboring something, which would be hard to remove in your substrate. While what theyre harboring usually isnt bad, you probably dont want them in your tank. Keep them in a small qt and check for critters for a while. To keep them warm, float the qt in your big tank :) After like a week or how ever long youre comfortable, add them in and do what you wish with them in the tank.

There arent any animals in your tank? Hm. Change the water like once a week to restore nutrients and keep algae down :) If you notice theyre losing leaves/nettles/getting messy, siphon as needed.

You say youre getting shrimp, but dont have them yet? If you can, cycle the tank first! Theyll live better if you do this before adding them, because theyre notoriously sensitive to parameter changes.

Good luck :B (did I answer everything? Im derp today)
Old 04-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #16 
phoenix91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
You should still QT the plants for a little while, because there is a good chance theyre harboring something, which would be hard to remove in your substrate. While what theyre harboring usually isnt bad, you probably dont want them in your tank. Keep them in a small qt and check for critters for a while. To keep them warm, float the qt in your big tank :) After like a week or how ever long youre comfortable, add them in and do what you wish with them in the tank.

There arent any animals in your tank? Hm. Change the water like once a week to restore nutrients and keep algae down :) If you notice theyre losing leaves/nettles/getting messy, siphon as needed.

You say youre getting shrimp, but dont have them yet? If you can, cycle the tank first! Theyll live better if you do this before adding them, because theyre notoriously sensitive to parameter changes.

Good luck :B (did I answer everything? Im derp today)
Okay, i can do that. I hadn't thought about any nasty stuff living in the plants, i didn't QT my two amazon swords but so far haven't seen anything odd come off them.

Nope, No animals. It's going just be just a planted tank since it's where my cats can get to and if i add any fish i'd have to go through my little cat being an idiot again. I figured i'd let the plants get established before i added any shrimp, probably ghost shrimp if i can get them as they won't attract the cats so much. okay once i add the plants i can do weekly water changes no problem.

Thanks.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #17 
PewPewPew

Welcome, and good luck!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #18 
Betta Fet

This should be sticky'd
Betta Fet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #19 
PewPewPew

Haha <3
Anyone else have sites that have good plants, low prices and low shipping costs?
Im looking for sites :D
Old 04-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #20 
Kaylin

Thanks so much for writing this up Pewpewpew!
Now I know what plants I can stick in the gravel, and which ones I need to tie off to something. :)

~Kaylin
Kaylin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
easy, faq, helpful posts, plants