Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #1 
JD3P

My betta is not going to make it =[

My betta has had fin rot for months and treatments barely helped for more than a few weeks. His tail is just so bad right now that he cannot swim and just kind of sits at the bottom of his bowl. He's not moving so now he's becoming constipated as well. I took him out of his 10 gallon and into a 1 gallon, both 80 degrees. I plan on doing complete wc's daily in the small bowl as opposed to the weekly ones in the 10 gallon. I'm pretty much just trying to make him as comfortable as possible. What would you do? Keep him in the tank or the small bowl? Any other suggestions for how to make things easier for him? I feel really bad he just sits on his side all day =[ I know it's only a matter of time.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #2 
BettasForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3P View Post
My betta has had fin rot for months and treatments barely helped for more than a few weeks. His tail is just so bad right now that he cannot swim and just kind of sits at the bottom of his bowl. He's not moving so now he's becoming constipated as well. I took him out of his 10 gallon and into a 1 gallon, both 80 degrees. I plan on doing complete wc's daily in the small bowl as opposed to the weekly ones in the 10 gallon. I'm pretty much just trying to make him as comfortable as possible. What would you do? Keep him in the tank or the small bowl? Any other suggestions for how to make things easier for him? I feel really bad he just sits on his side all day =[ I know it's only a matter of time.

Hey hey hey! Never say never! With the proper care he could make it! :)

Lower the water in the bowl so it's easier for him to get air. Try not to stress him out too much with the water changes. Also, keep him in the one gallon. If you keep him in the 10 gallon you could infect everything. Good luck! Keep us posted! If you rin into any other trouble PM OFL. (OldFishLady) She can help you with anything!
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #3 
JD3P

Thanks for your help. I was thinking about getting fungus tablets as a last resort because it now looks as if there is white cotton on part of the tail. (The part that is slowly receding into his body). Not sure if they would really do anything.

I have a question though...

he's been in the same 10 gallon now for months...while he's had this fin rot. There is also a snail in the tank with him, which I was going to remove and put into my other tank with my other betta...will she get infected if I do this?

I also have been debating whether or not to just take his tank apart and throw away the sand...I have nothing but live plants in there and I'm not sure if I should place them in another tank after cleaning them or just throw them out...I'm also assuming I need to replace the filter cartridge and let it re-cycle before placing another fish in the tank (assuming I don't tear it down). I've never dealt with this before so I want to make sure I'm not infecting any other fish I have or any future fish.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:28 AM   #4 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Thanks for your help. I was thinking about getting fungus tablets as a last resort because it now looks as if there is white cotton on part of the tail. (The part that is slowly receding into his body). Not sure if they would really do anything.
Its not a fungus if its cottony...try flexibacter or columnaris on google and see if it looks like that, instead.
I have a question though...

he's been in the same 10 gallon now for months...while he's had this fin rot. There is also a snail in the tank with him, which I was going to remove and put into my other tank with my other betta...will she get infected if I do this? Probably not?

I also have been debating whether or not to just take his tank apart and throw away the sand...I have nothing but live plants in there and I'm not sure if I should place them in another tank after cleaning them or just throw them out...I'm also assuming I need to replace the filter cartridge and let it re-cycle before placing another fish in the tank (assuming I don't tear it down). I've never dealt with this before so I want to make sure I'm not infecting any other fish I have or any future fish.
He'll be okay, dont worry, you wont need to do this.

Please, lower that water temp! Ah! Thats not helping, not at all. Lower to 75-76' to discourage bacterial growth. Add 2 tsp/gallon of AQ salt to that QT, with 100% changes each day and a redose each day, with proper acclimation. keep the tank bare bottom and with minimal decor. Rinse the tank's decor each day.
If you have it, Indian almond leaves will help, too, when steeped in the water. Try, too, if you cant get that, **decaf green tea, steeped in warm old tank water and then reintroduced. Tannins will help heal.

Can we get a picture, please? Especially of the growth? You can probably fix this with a simple round of meds, tailored to the type of bacteria thats eating his tail. C: Contact OFL, too, for meds, etc. But a pic will help us and her, so do what you can either for a pic or for googled references of similar cases..
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:15 AM   #5 
roadrunner

Just one more thing, if you are using any medication, take carbon out of the filter. Good luck.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #6 
Ethan

Don't worry 2 of my bettas have the same exact problems. I have been looking for meds. for finrot and haven't seen much try to go to a petstore around you and take a look for meds. I'm on the same page as you are my poor Brutal Fire has it too sadly sea salt is not helping
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #7 
JD3P

Here is the best picture I could get..sorry I know it's not clear at all. But you can kind of see how bad it is, the blue part. As well as the pinkness/ paleness of his once yellow fins. The position he is in is also the way he lays all day. He's been like this for a few weeks now. I put him in a 3 gallon tank and filled it half way and I turned off the heater so the temp goes down and I added an air stone and aquarium salt. I read somewhere to try maracyn 2. I will also try the decaf green tea. Just not sure which to try first...I kinda don't have time to experiment. Also if I use the maracyn 2/ green tea should I also be using aquarium salt as well, or just separate? Is it a good idea to also continue the use of Prime with his daily water changes?

Name:  DSC01159-1.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  34.6 KB

Last edited by JD3P; 04-10-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #8 
briser

Ouch! :( That looks like some kind of growth/tumor?
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #9 
JD3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by briser View Post
Ouch! :( That looks like some kind of growth/tumor?
Nope =[ it's actually just his tail slowly deteriorating and going into his body. Now it's just kind of a large lump of what I assume to be scar tissue or inflammation.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #10 
briser

Quote:
Nope =[ it's actually just his tail slowly deteriorating and going into his body. Now it's just kind of a large lump of what I assume to be scar tissue or inflammation.
Oh my :( I wish I could help but I'm not good with diseases etc. Definitely lower the water level so it's easier for him to get up for air (unless it's already lowered - hard to tell from the pic). I wish you all the best with your little guy! Hope it makes it through this!
briser is offline   Reply With Quote